I Cliff Burtonized My Rickenbacker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Cliff Burtonized My Rickenbacker

I have been reading about how Cliff Burton had his Rickenbacker bass modified by adding a SD HotStack in the cavity where the rubber mute is. Since I have never used the mute I figured I could live without it. Although much has been written about his bass there weren't any good demonstrations of what the pickup was used for and I seriously doubted that putting a pickup in that position would have enough string movement to be useful. Some people said it was just there to provide hum cancellation but I doubt that. So yesterday I taped a pickup across the top of the bridge to see if it would produce a usable tone and it did. All of the pickups I tried sounded pretty good but none would fit easily in that space.

Since I had a 6k Ceramic OEM Strat pickup I decided this would be the best candidate. I removed the poles and magnet from and routed out the center of the bobbin and glued a ceramic magnet in the middle to form a rail pickup. Then I wrapped the coil in aluminum flashing tape and grounded the shielding. Lastly I had to trim the bottom lip on the pickup to get it to match the dimensions of the metal baseplate for the mute and epoxied the pickup to the baseplate.

Instead of wiring the new mute/pickup to a push/pull I gave it a 250k volume pot and rewired the bass to use a single master tone. As expected a 6k pickup in that position is very bright and not all that loud but it is perfectly usable especially when used with the other positions on the 3-way switch. Having the mute/pickup on it's own volume acts a lot like a presence control and the middle/neck switch positions really shine in combination with it. Since the coil was well shielded and the bridge is grounded it doesn't hum much despite being a single coil.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pics.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	6200114

That is really cool. I never knew this about Cliff's bass.

Comment

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/cli...iring.1337946/
      Last edited by idsnowdog; 10-05-2022, 11:41 AM.

Comment

I knew Bartolini made a pickup to fit there, but was unaware of Cliff's mod.
        aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

That's pretty interesting.

Comment

Im %100 into this
            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I am wondering how something like a Hotrails would sound in there. I need to tell my bass player about this mod, he has two Rics.

Comment

I looked at the dimensions and a Tele Hot Rails Neck pickup will fit but it's a bit too tall for the cavity and I would need to deepen the route. I tried a Cool Rails and it sounds excellent but I wasn't going to try and make it fit because I would have to grind off the shoulders. The pickups I used didn't have lips so I just needed to slice off the corners of the top and bottom bobbin to get it to fit on the mute baseplate.

Name:	strat-tips-memphis-wiring@1400x1050-1392x1044.png
Views:	265
Size:	4.3 KB
ID:	6200132

Comment

This will easily fit but it isn't very powerful. https://mgbguitars.com/collections/p...s-pickups-five

Comment

I downloaded the dimensions for the HotStack Strat that Cliff had in the bridge. He must have deepened the route underneath the mute and direct mounted the pickup instead of placing it on the mute baseplate. The dimensions in red are what's available.

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	266
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	6200271

Comment

this should help your cliff setup. this is cliff's actual written notes
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X