Are P/J basses a compromise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are P/J basses a compromise?

I have a Yamaha Attitude Standard bass with a P/J setup and I have changed pickups on it twice. The first time I put a Dimarzio set in it. I loved the big ballsy Model P and hated the Model J because it was weak. Now I have a set of GFS Red Active pickups in it and I love the J but I'm not wild about the P. There's really nothing wrong with the P in that set other than they really weren't designed to compliment each other so there's a big difference between the two positions. I don't have any experience with any other P/J bass is this just a weakness of that configuration? Because it just seems to be a compromise either way.

P/J basses sound like a P with a J added. The P will typically be dominant and the J bridge will typically be weak just due to the nature of the P output.

You can’t really use it like a Jazz bass because of the imbalance. I think most just leave the P up full and blend in the J to taste (I preferred mine with the J turned off).
    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

I've had P and J basses of all configurations since the late 70's. If you want double pickups - make sure the bridge pickup has a wider aperture than the neck pickup. That guarantees a punchy bass sound. Your results may vary.
      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Same syndrome with QPs.

Yes, it’s a compromise. P/Tbird works best for me.

Comment

I never thought they sounded good other than the P bass pickup alone. You need a very powerful J pickup to balance with the P pickup, and even then, it doesn't sound as good as a Jazz bass or even a double P pickup configuration.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I use P, the P+J, rarely ever J alone.

But I really like P+J...
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              I never thought they sounded good other than the P bass pickup alone. You need a very powerful J pickup to balance with the P pickup, and even then, it doesn't sound as good as a Jazz bass or even a double P pickup configuration.
              For me the issue is pickup manufacturers sell "sets" of P/J pickups but I doubt any of them have actually done anything to calibrate the two to work together.

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
                For me the issue is pickup manufacturers sell "sets" of P/J pickups but I doubt any of them have actually done anything to calibrate the two to work together.
                Hmm, that might be a good set for a well known pickup brand....
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Graham Maby got one of the best bass sounds ever on the first two Joe Jackson albums, using an Ibanez P/J. I saw a live video of I'm The Man the other day, and it sounded like a P with a bit of J mixed in.
                  Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                  Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

I have an Ibanez PJ with a similar situation: P sounds good, P&J sounds good, J by itself not so much.
                    I've thought a vintage Pbass pickup paired with QP Jazz might be a good match.
                    My Ibby is basically a home/rehearsal bass so I haven't upgraded it.

In general the only real sacrifice I find with PJs versus an original Jazz Bass is, the middle position isn't quite as laid back.
                    I love the middle tone on a tradtitional Jazz Bass. Middle position on a PJ is a bit more in-your-face.
                    Of course extra fatness & snot in neck position was the whole point of a PJ. And IMO it's a very good thing there.

Another option I like is the Blacktop Jazz that has two Pbass pickups. A powerful combination - I named mine the Black Buffalo.
                    Because of its placement, the neck pickup doesn't quite deliver have the exact traditional Pbass thump. It's a tad rounder I think.
                    Still, middle position has power well beyond that of a PJ. Plenty of boom and aggression - not a delicate creature.
                    It's a cool bass. Not sure why that model never became popular.

"You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I like the PJ sound. No it isn't a jazz sound but I prefer the extra fatness that the P brings. Fatness from the P, little extra bite from the J, it's a great sound.
                      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                      Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                      http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
                        I have a Yamaha Attitude Standard bass with a P/J setup and I have changed pickups on it twice. The first time I put a Dimarzio set in it. I loved the big ballsy Model P and hated the Model J because it was weak. Now I have a set of GFS Red Active pickups in it and I love the J but I'm not wild about the P. There's really nothing wrong with the P in that set other than they really weren't designed to compliment each other so there's a big difference between the two positions. I don't have any experience with any other P/J bass is this just a weakness of that configuration? Because it just seems to be a compromise either way.
                        Sounds like you could put the Model P back in there and find a gutsier bridge pickup.

Having independent volume controls helps get the right balance, too.
                        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                        Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                        http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

I really like the versatility of a P/J with a blend pot. Even if the P is tubby or the J is thin, you should be able to blend yourself into happiness. Failing that, a hot J pickup combined with a vintage P pickup should balance better.

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
                            I really like the versatility of a P/J with a blend pot. Even if the P is tubby or the J is thin, you should be able to blend yourself into happiness. Failing that, a hot J pickup combined with a vintage P pickup should balance better.
                            The bass has a three way toggle with one volume and tone. So I would have to replace the tone control to get a balance pot.

Comment

In the Jazz the neck pickup is more important and the bridge pickup adds flavor that is complementary. Replacing the neck pickup but not the bridge pickup doesn't work too well since the bridge pickup now doesn't sound like a "sharper" neck pickup.

A hummelbucker in the bridge works better.

Comment

Working...
                              X