Just got my very first bass guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got my very first bass guitar

I did it, last weekend I bought my first bass guitar ever, at the age of 50 :-) It’s Squier VM Jag, short scale, with a P/J pickup configuration. I let my band’s bass player test drive it, and after a few minor tweaks (D string hight and intonation) it is pretty much flawless. One thing to mention is that the bridge jazz pickup is weak compared to the neck P-pickup. So i increased the bridge pickup height as much as possible, and after that both pickups are more or less even, volume wise. Sound wise it’s not too bad, the bridge pickup is spanky and the neck pickup is full and a bit warmer.
    The neck is quite narrow, but comfortable, the baswood body small and light. This makes the Total guitar a little neck heavy, but since I don’t intent to perform my lousy bass skills om any stage, that’s not too dramatic for me. I might take some bass lessons in the future, but for now I’m just having big fun with it. I’m accused by my band mate of approaching the bass as it was a guitar… big surprise! ;-)

That is a nice-looking bass.

Comment

Sweet. I've heard good things about newer short scales. Nothing wrong with bringing your guitar knowledge to the bass, playing with a pick, etc. It's a different animal, but a guitar background at least gives you the tools to figure out what works.
      Take it to the limit
      Everybody to the limit
      Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

Those are good axes. Enjoy!
        aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Thanks guys, I’m having good fun with the Jag bass!

Comment

Originally posted by LRS View Post
            I’m accused by my band mate of approaching the bass as it was a guitar… big surprise! ;-)
            So did Paul MacCartney, Noel Redding, Lemmy, Billy Sheehan, and a host of others so I think you are in pretty good company.

Comment

I don't think your bass is a short scale. All of the short scale Jaguar Basses Squier made in the Vintage Modified line had a black-painted headstock. Those were discontinued several years ago. If yours is one of the newer Classic Vibe Jaguar basses, it is a medium (32") scale. That will be important for you to know when you go to buy a set of new strings. If you buy short scale strings, they probably won't work on a medium scale bass.

Comment

That's the kind of bass I'd love! Congrats, it looks great!
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Nice. Shorter scale basses can be a lot of fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. B View Post
                    I don't think your bass is a short scale. All of the short scale Jaguar Basses Squier made in the Vintage Modified line had a black-painted headstock. Those were discontinued several years ago. If yours is one of the newer Classic Vibe Jaguar basses, it is a medium (32") scale. That will be important for you to know when you go to buy a set of new strings. If you buy short scale strings, they probably won't work on a medium scale bass.
                    I could not hold the measuring tape and take picture so I stuck it behind the bridge. Substract about one inch …

Last edited by LRS; 02-23-2023, 07:44 AM.

Comment

That's the scale I like in a bass. I am not very tall, so normal basses are uncomfortable to me.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Well that has me confused then. Every short scale Jaguar I ever saw in the Vintage Modified series had a black headstock. That was one thing that set them apart from the standard size Jaguar. When they switched to the Classic Vibe version, they were all 32" as far as I know. I've had 2 of the 30" short scales and one of the 32" Medium scale versions over the years. What year was yours made?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. B View Post
                          Well that has me confused then. Every short scale Jaguar I ever saw in the Vintage Modified series had a black headstock. That was one thing that set them apart from the standard size Jaguar. When they switched to the Classic Vibe version, they were all 32" as far as I know. I've had 2 of the 30" short scales and one of the 32" Medium scale versions over the years. What year was yours made?
                          I don’t know, I got it second hand and thought that it was a Vintage Modified model.

Comment

Yeah, that year was during the Vintage Modified Series years. I think the Classic Vibes replaced them in 2019 or thereabouts. I looked through the old catalogs, and they only list the bass you have in Black, Red, and Silver, all with the black headstocks. Maybe yours was a special run they did toward the end of production of that short scale model's run. I like it.

I still have one of the black ones. I took a set of Duncan Designed PJ pickups out of one of the full sized versions and put them in my Short Scale. I really like that Duncan Designed PJ Bass Set, and you can find them super cheap on Ebay occasionally. They remind me of the US made Duncan Vintage P and J set, but a little warmer and rounder which I kinda like. I don't have to worry about them sounding harsh with the tone all the way up.

I have a newer Fender Mustang Short Scale Bass too, but I really like the body contours, balance, and controls locations of the Squier Short Scale Jaguar Bass better. I'd like to see Fender make a Player Series version of the SS Jaguar... and a SS Jazz Bass like the one they make for Japan.

Comment

I am not a fan of the shape, or short scale basses. That said, I do like P/J and it does look nice.

But - I am a fan of bass more and more! It works for you - rock it in good health.

For reference I'm 6'2" and 250+
                              Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                              X