banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Types of Basses are there and what are they like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Types of Basses are there and what are they like?

I'm looking at getting either a cheap j-bass, p-bass, jp-bass, or stingray.

Soundwise what do they traditionally sound like?

An example of the descriptions i'm looking for in guitar terms would be how the eq usually sounds, what they are traditionally used for, how the controls usually interact, etc

Originally posted by '59 View Post
    I'm looking at getting either a cheap j-bass, p-bass, jp-bass, or stingray.

Soundwise what do they traditionally sound like?

An example of the descriptions i'm looking for in guitar terms would be how the eq usually sounds, what they are traditionally used for, how the controls usually interact, etc
    My opinion. Been playing bass since 2003 or so, and semi professionally from 2017-2020.

P bass: foundational. Hits like a hammer in a mix. Tonal variety comes from using different plucking techniques.
    J bass: lower lows, higher highs. Works better in a sparse mix than a P. Tonal variety comes from blending pickups. Mid scoop when you put both pickups on full volume... knock one pickup's volume down to restore the mids.
    PJ bass: basically a P bass but with the option to get tonal variety from blending pickups.
    Stingray: bridge humbucker so you kind of know what you're getting. Fat nasally tone. Sticks through a mix well.

Beyond this there's a wealth of information on Talkbass, Gear Page, Youtube, Google, etc. Bassists will fall over themselves to tell you what they think and give comparisons.

Biggest suggestion from me is to think about how you want to use the bass. Do you see yourself honing in your right hand technique? If so, P Bass will do great. If not, PJ/Jazz/Stingray. Personally I find Jazz basses to be weaksauce in my hands, but sound great in others'.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
    http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post

My opinion. Been playing bass since 2003 or so, and semi professionally from 2017-2020.

P bass: foundational. Hits like a hammer in a mix. Tonal variety comes from using different plucking techniques.
      J bass: lower lows, higher highs. Works better in a sparse mix than a P. Tonal variety comes from blending pickups. Mid scoop when you put both pickups on full volume... knock one pickup's volume down to restore the mids.
      PJ bass: basically a P bass but with the option to get tonal variety from blending pickups.
      Stingray: bridge humbucker so you kind of know what you're getting. Fat nasally tone. Sticks through a mix well.

Beyond this there's a wealth of information on Talkbass, Gear Page, Youtube, Google, etc. Bassists will fall over themselves to tell you what they think and give comparisons.

Biggest suggestion from me is to think about how you want to use the bass. Do you see yourself honing in your right hand technique? If so, P Bass will do great. If not, PJ/Jazz/Stingray. Personally I find Jazz basses to be weaksauce in my hands, but sound great in others'.
      I agree for the most part. But I'd also add a Thunderbird bass. Dark and thunderous.

But depends on what kind of mix we're speaking of as well.

For a more metal mix, I find J-Bass sits better than a P-Bass because it's got more clank to cut through, and a lower low-end to fill out below the guitar's chuggs. Honestly, for anything heavy other than like Maiden, LOL.

Also, the stingray pickup is more of a middle pickup rather than bridge, IMO.

Also, there are other bass setups. Especially if you're going for more of a modern tone. Dual humbucker basses, basses with a pair of J pickups closer together.

I do love me a good classic Jazz bass tone for metal, but also, don't discount Spector and Warwick.

Also... LEMMY!!!!! Rickenbacker bass played with a pick ran through a distorted amp can sound killer.

But then, I'm the kind of guy that can't play without a hint of overdrive in his bass tone. And also, I prefer the sound of a bass being played HARD with a pick rather than finger style. JMO. And I'm more of a guy that likes clank and rumble rather than growl. Growl can turn into honk fast. But as you can see, I like heavier bass tones rather the the dark dum dum dum tones in reggae or more old-school music. I hate old strings on bass.
      Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 04-10-2023, 02:09 PM.

Comment

I also think that you can think of bass tones you love on recordings, and find out what bass it is. Works for guitar.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

If you don't know if you will like playing bass you could get a Squire Bronco bass and stick one of these single coil sized active pickups in it. I have one with an EMG SA and a 4-saddle bridge and its a great beginner bass due to its size and ease of playability. https://www.guitarfetish.com/REDacti...eg_p_6680.html
          Last edited by idsnowdog; 04-10-2023, 05:00 PM.

Comment

The things that you wanted
            I bought them for you

Comment

Comment

Jackson 5 string and Ibanez 4 string. Both have actives. Just set up somewhat differently. Jackson has two V with BMT controls.
                Ibanez has a master volume, pickup blend, and bass and treble active tone controls.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post
                  . . .
                  My experience playing P and J matches what Alex said. My experience hearing guys in my band play a Stingray (back when they came out) is, in addition to what Alex said, in the room in front of the amp I felt a distinct deep thud on the bottom end like a solid anvil hitting your chest, which the P and J didn't quite have. J comes close, but the Stingray was more of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    I also think that you can think of bass tones you love on recordings, and find out what bass it is. Works for guitar.
                    Another thing that works for guitar that works for bass is assessing what pickup layout the bass has. That's why a stringray has such an aggressive thud - it has a fat humbucker in the bridge.
                    The things that you wanted
                    I bought them for you

Comment

Not very virtuoso playing, but man, what a tone!
                      Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 04-14-2023, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Cringey nu metal makeup, but killer bass tone and playing!

Br br deng!

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                          Agree 100%!
                          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

OP didn’t ask about short scale basses but I’ll chime cuz why not.

I just finished overhauling my Epiphone Viola bass. New pickups and wiring. Modded controls. Sounds great. Nice and warm and thumpy, just how I like it.

Comment

One thing you may want to consider if you've never played bass before is the string-spacing. P-Basses have a much wider string spacing than a Jazz bass, and players often tend to like one more than the other. Some basses like the Sterling Stingray can be had with either spacing; Narrow=Ray24 or Ray4, Wide=Ray34.
                              There are also a lot of great little short-scale basses being made right now, and they are loads of fun. Well made ones like the Fallout, Stingray, and Mustang play and sound as good as their full size counterparts.
                              Personally, if I had to own only one bass, it would be hard to choose between a Fender Jazz Bass and a Sterling Stingray.

Comment

Working...
                              X