banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking about a Squier Classic Vibe Jazz bass... thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about a Squier Classic Vibe Jazz bass... thoughts?

I have a Classic Vibe Esquire which I love. However, I did replace the pickup, bridge, and tuners, LOL. The shell of the guitar was good, but the pickup and hardware were pretty bad. The bridge was OK, TBH. I could've lived with the stock bridge, but I figured I'd go all out because I loved the guitar.

I wonder if it's going to be the same with the bass. I don't want to invest as much on the bass as I did with the guitar, because I do want a good bass to record with, but I don't mainly play bass. I just want something to have fun with.

If not, what other alternatives are there for a clanky, bright, and scooped picked sound that will get some overdrive thrown on top of that doesn't come with crappy pickups?

Thanks!

These are pretty well-respected basses. I'd think you'd do fine keeping it stock, but if you were going to invest money, invest in pickups.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I bought a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz 5 (same specs as new Classic Vibe) couple of years ago with the intention to mod it. It's been 5 years and still no mods.
      The fit and finish is pretty incredible for an instrument in that price range. Didn't even adjust the truss rod where I have to do so on other guitars and basses couple of times a year (weather variations). No sharp frets either, and nice 2 piece soft maple body. I will probably put a John East J-Tone preamp because I like active basses but the pickup are just fine for me now, very growly when you dig them.

Comment

That’s a good choice.

I’m happy with my Sterling Stingray. You may want to check those out.

Comment

What are Stingray basses like? I was always under the impression they were more Precision-ish than Jazz-ish because of the single humbucker and whatnot, but maybe I'm wrong? Also, what's the neck profile like? More Precision-ish or more Jazz-ish?

I honestoy don't get along with Precison basses at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
            What are Stingray basses like? I was always under the impression they were more Precision-ish than Jazz-ish because of the single humbucker and whatnot, but maybe I'm wrong? Also, what's the neck profile like? More Precision-ish or more Jazz-ish?

I honestoy don't get along with Precison basses at all.
            I would argue it’s a bit it’s own thing. It’s just on HB but it is quite responsive to changing the picking/plucking position.

Here’s a comparison between the three sounds:

The profile on the Sterlings is C and in between, less chunky than a precision for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post

I would argue it’s a bit it’s own thing. It’s just on HB but it is quite responsive to changing the picking/plucking position.

Here’s a comparison between the three sounds:

The profile on the Sterlings is C and in between, less chunky than a precision for sure.
              Well, I definitely like it more than the P Bass there, but I still prefer the J.

The J sounded wider and clankier in that demo. The Stingray sounded kinda honky by comparison. But I wonder if that added extra honk migh make it take overdrive better.

Comment

Well, I definitely like it more than the P Bass there, but I still prefer the J.

The J sounded wider and clankier in that demo. The Stingray sounded kinda honky by comparison. But I wonder if that added extra honk migh make it take overdrive better.
                For sure.

Both are great and I think could work for you. I encourage you to just play them see what feels good.

Comment

How about dual pickup Stingrays? Are those available in my price point?

Comment

Oh, looks like there is!

Comment

Turn of events... looks like I might be able to shell out the money for a Mexican Jazz.

Comment

OK... quick question. How is the quality of the higher-end Sterlings?

I might be able to stretch the budget to fit this

But I don't know if it's worth it over a Mexican Fender. I know Mexican Fenders are pretty decent. But is Sterling as good? Or maybe I'm just being biased because I am Mexican, LOL.

Comment

OK... quick question. How is the quality of the higher-end Sterlings?

I might be able to stretch the budget to fit this

But I don't know if it's worth it over a Mexican Fender. I know Mexican Fenders are pretty decent. But is Sterling as good? Or maybe I'm just being biased because I am Mexican, LOL.
                          Folks love it but not sure it’s “better” than a Fender MIM - I think it’s more a matter of personal taste, maybe this helps

Comment

Turn of events... looks like I might be able to shell out the money for a Mexican Jazz.
                            I would suggest you try the Squier before settling on the MIM Fender Jazz. I liked mine better.

Comment

You might decide on the Squier, but have enough left over to upgrade it, if you want.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X