Contemporary Christian Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contemporary Christian Music

My church got me playing bass for them just because they needed a bass player.

The problem I'm having is that CCM doesn't really have interesting bass parts given that the whole point of it is not letting the music distract from the words. Usually I just end up playing quarter notes of the root or occasionally a simple major/minor arpeggio.

Most of the "movement" in a CCM song comes from the singers and the chord changes, so what I'd there to do for a bass player who wants to add more texture to the song?

Follow the drums, find rhythm points in both the drums and the vocals that you can subtly reinforce and play behind, and/or find passing tones you can drop in empty spots where it 'needs something', but without sticking out and taking away where the music needs to 'breathe.'

Comment

Originally posted by '59 View Post

The problem I'm having is that CCM doesn't really have interesting bass parts given that the whole point of it is not letting the music distract from the words. Usually I just end up playing quarter notes of the root or occasionally a simple major/minor arpeggio.

Most of the "movement" in a CCM song comes from the singers and the chord changes, so what I'd there to do for a bass player who wants to add more texture to the song?
      Your playing in the wrong Church! I know a BUNCH of worship bass players that would nuke bout anyone in any rock band large or other wise. Go listen to some urban Gospel like THIS!

Guitars
      Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
      Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Here is an old buddy of mine who was here in the States for a while touring with a Gospel group from South Africa. Alvin used to stay at the house with us when he was in town. There are a BUNCH of folks in churches round here that can lights out PLAY and do regularly in our worship services.

Guitars
        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Live Sunday night clip from my old Church we kinda rocked a "little" LOL.
          Guitars

Comment

Playing a service with some friends a few months ago.

Guitars

Comment

Here try and play this one! This is the kind of stuff i regularly play.
              Gary Lund the bass player here is just nuts good!! This entire band player for player is just insane.

Guitars

Comment

Here is a song we opened every night at a conference with that was fun.

Guitars

Comment

Played with some of these folk a few times. Nice 6 string bass into to this song.

Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by '59 View Post

I’ve been playing CCM bass for a while and what I’ve noticed is that as long as you respect and support the dynamics of the music you can do whatever you want.

The typical song has something like you sit out for the beginning, then play while notes in verses, quarter notes in the chorus and eight notes or something busier in the bridge. Whatever it is, make sure you understand the dynamics of the song and respect that, particularly not playing.

As long as you do that, the typical things I do:
                    - double the vocals when they have a pickup like in beats 3 or 4 before a section (graves into gardens does that a couple of times)
                    - go crazy playing root, fifth, sevenths, octaves and transition notes in the most upbeat section, supporting the (usually busy) drumming pattern
                    - some kind of pentatonic fill at the end of a section when there is a change in dynamics (to help things go up or down)
                    - double parts of guitar riffs - not all the notes but a few make a difference
                    - play root+10 (3rd up an octave) in quiet parts, with some chorus

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
                    Your playing in the wrong Church!
                    I’m sure “his” in a great Church
                    Last edited by Blille; 07-01-2023, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Here is a n old favorite of mine that I have played with a bunch of different folks pull off these bass lines!

Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post

I’ve been playing CCM bass for a while and what I’ve noticed is that as long as you respect and support the dynamics of the music you can do whatever you want.

The typical song has something like you sit out for the beginning, then play while notes in verses, quarter notes in the chorus and eight notes or something busier in the bridge. Whatever it is, make sure you understand the dynamics of the song and respect that, particularly not playing.

As long as you do that, the typical things I do:
                        - double the vocals when they have a pickup like in beats 3 or 4 before a section (graves into gardens does that a couple of times)
                        - go crazy playing root, fifth, sevenths, octaves and transition notes in the most upbeat section, supporting the (usually busy) drumming pattern
                        - some kind of pentatonic fill at the end of a section when there is a change in dynamics (to help things go up or down)
                        - double parts of guitar riffs - not all the notes but a few make a difference
                        - play root+12 (3rd up an octave) in quiet parts, with some chorus

I’m sure “his” in a great Church
                        Spot on post. Played in a few places that were so tight I couldn't hang with it is what I was talking about. Could be a great church but--. My home church for the last few years isn't what I'm used to but is a cool place. I get my musical fix playing out doing conferences and such. Point is playing in church doesn't have to be bland and boring nor should it be!
                        Guitars

Comment

You can also ping our worship players thread in case other folks may comment https://forum.seymourduncan.com/foru...orship-Players

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post
                            You can also ping our worship players thread in case other folks may comment https://forum.seymourduncan.com/foru...orship-Players

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                            Link is invalid
                            Invalid Page URL. If this is an error and the page should exist, please contact the system administrator and tell them how you got this message.
                            Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post

Link is invalid
                              Invalid Page URL. If this is an error and the page should exist, please contact the system administrator and tell them how you got this message.
                              You have to be logged in to access it since it in the off topic section. Saw you just posted there so it looks like you found your way there.

Comment

Working...
                              X