Any opinions on Harley Benton?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any opinions on Harley Benton?

I'm looking at getting a 5 string fretless bass and the only one I can find is a Harley Benton HBZ-2005FL NT Deluxe Series. I've been considering a 5 string for a while now, and I also want to experiment with fretless because I've tried a few in the shop and I like what they can do.

They are crazy cheap, so I'm not out too much if it's bad. But I'm also not trying to throw money away.

Well, they are a store brand overseas, so we don't see a ton of them over here. But the few HB guitars I've played have been solid instruments.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

My bass player has two real RIcs and a HB rick clone. He plays the HB more than the real Rics it sounds fantastic.

Comment

I have a Bass VI of theirs. It was well built etc but the bridge needed replacing to intonate well, which is not unusual in these instruments to be fair.

Ibanez is good value
        Last edited by Blille; 07-02-2023, 12:25 AM.

Comment

I bought a LP Junior Fat awhile back. It's terrific. I loaned it to a pal who liked it so much he ordered one just like it. He liked THAT so much he ordered a 25th Anniversary LP Goldtop. He loved THAT so much his bass player ordered a 25th Anniversary Jazz Bass. Guess what? He loved it.

They are excellent quality, period - and they are incredibly low priced. I don't know how they do it. Also, shipping from Germany is quite reasonable at less than $100 and most times shipping to the US took 4 days. Like I said, I don't know how they do it.
          aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

This is a topic that is coming up a lot. If I wanted to pay the same price for shipping as I do for the instrument, I'd check one out. Luckily, a local company also skips the middleman and sells guitars manufactured in China, so I can buy from them instead. Check out Glenn Fricker's HB reviews, when he's not yelling, he can be informative, he's had some success and some failure.

It's not the '80s anymore, now cheap guitars can be as hit-and-miss as the big brands. We're so lucky.

Comment

Dang it, now you've got me thinking about buying a new bass.
              You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
              Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Never touched an HB bass.

But I have never touched an HB guitar that didn't punch way above its class, and never really heard a bad word about them.
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I'm sure they'll go up in value someday, I've never heard a bad thing about them.

Comment

for the price plus shipping you can probably get a nice Ibanez 5 string
                    EHD
                    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

They have a big sale going on right now btw

Comment

I almost bought one of their PJ basses but ultimately went with a Squire Classic Vibe.

Comment

Working...
                        X