2 MM style humbuckers
    Active/Passive mode
    Under $1000

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...bacco-sunburst
    Awesome bass! Not very PJ but awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post

Awesome bass! Not very PJ but awesome.
      Yup. May not be a HH 5-string StingRay but G&L Tribute models kick some ass.

Comment

I just remembered the Yamaha BB series, they have a version of a 5 PJ for every price point and the sub $1k are great value:

Choose between active or passive circuitry, and adjust your tone further using precise EQ and continuous pickup blending, with the Yamaha BB735A bass guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
          I would also accept recommendations for an HH 5 string Stingray. Historically accurate is not important to me, I'd prefer active if possible. Trying for sub $1k
          Ibanez SR300 series is what I have. Doesn’t look like a PJ but the neck pickup is every bit a thuddy P and the two pickups blended is every bit a Jazz sound. That plus the the series/parallel/split switch and the active 3 band eq means I can get nearly any bread and butter bass tone I want right from the bass. Inexpensive, well built, versatile, great sound. Perfect “Do anything anywhere” bass. And as I mentioned in the other thread, then enough to keep me mobile on it, but not so thin that it hurts my hands. I wish I had had it when I was a good game, because then I would not have taken the P bass and the stingray to gigs.
          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
          Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
          http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

I would try them in person, if at all possible. The basses can be heavy and the necks can be cumbersome with the addition of the fifth string. Also the inherent tonality can range from thuddy to zingy. Yes strings can compensate but there’s always a natural character and for a 5 string you need some snappy response and present mids. The SR I got addressed all those issues - maneuverable neck, good balance, fast attack, full mids on the low B. The other front runner sounded better overall, but had a thuddier attack and the low B was mushy. I am quite pleased with the SR300 (maybe it’s a 350). So you might not find a sr350 to try but you can still look for those various characteristics to help your low B string work well out the gate. Hope this helps.
            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
            Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
            http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Working...
            X