banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a reason active/passive switches don't disconnect the battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a reason active/passive switches don't disconnect the battery?

Now that I'm getting a second bass, I've decided it would be best to gear my current bass (Sub4) more towards being a practice bass. Right now I'm thinking the easiest thing to do would be to add a switch that bypasses the pre amp and disconnects the battery.

The issue with this is apparently it's not standard to disconnect the battery in passive mode. Is there a reason for this?
    Last edited by Chistopher; 07-15-2023, 05:42 PM.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Do you want passive tones, or just to not mess with batteries? If it’s the former, I get it. If it’s the latter, 9Vs tend to last a long time.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

For many basses (and guitars) with active electronics, the battery is turned on when the plug goes into the jack. And the battery runs down if the instrument is left plugged in for a long time.
      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I guess this question isn't too pressing anymore. I added an active/passive switch to my bass but wired it to disconnect the battery in passive mode. Most active/passive basses don't disconnect the battery, but I'm not seeing any problems with it. I'm guessing it's something like if they did, it would make it more likely for someone to leave the instrument plugged in over night in active mode and then come back to a dead battery
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright

Comment

You might like the G&L L2000. The bass and treble knobs are passive and cut only. It has a three way switch with passive mode, active mode which is louder but without any EQ embellishment and then active with top boost in the third position. It’s my absolute favourite bass and can cop Stingray, Spector, P bass, J Bass and even throaty Warwick type sounds with it’s series/parallel switch in different pickup combos.
          The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

I was actually looking at one of those. They do look kinda cool spec wise, and I hear people love the MFD pickups

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
              I was actually looking at one of those. They do look kinda cool spec wise, and I hear people love the MFD pickups
              I have the L-2500 (US 5-string) and it’s really the only bass I need.
              The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Working...
              X