Sterling Sub4 Stingray Drama

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sterling Sub4 Stingray Drama

Does anyone have a proper EBMM or pre-EBMM Stingray and can get a DCR reading? I just did a reading on the pickup in my budget Stingray and it's reading 6.47k, which leads me to believe that it's wired in series, not parallel as Stingrays traditionally are. Which cooperates with the way it sounds to my ears and the fact that historically the Sub4 is a louder bass.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Apparently the SD 70s Stingray pickup measures in at 1.3k?
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright

Comment

The MM sound is parallel. That said, when I replaced mine I was surprised by how close both wirings were.

Comment

Yeah, I found this out because I ordered the 90s inspired ceramic GFS MM pickup and apparently the new ones only come in series. They advertise them at 8k, which claims to be overwound, which made me wonder what my pickups dcr is.

Comment

id guess thats series but hard to tell without putting a meter on each coil. i dont have anything i can check for you but i do remember working on my buddies old sting ray and i think it read like 1.5k, which suggests 3k per coil in parallel

Comment

I have a SD MM Alnico in my Sub Ray4. Wired in parallel. Will check the in circuit DCR in a bit.

Comment

The SD MM Alnico measures 1.89k in circuit. My StingRay is wired passive like a P Bass. I like it better that way than with the stock active treble and bass controls, which are ok but aren’t the greatest.

Comment

so 1.89k suggests thats in parallel with each coil around 3.6k. ive loved the alnico sd mm pup in every bass ive heard it in

Comment

So I think that confirms it, Sub4 has a series pickup. Which makes me think it probably sounds pretty crummy in parallel, but I may convert it to four conductor just for fun.

Comment

Replace it with a SD MM Alnico and don’t look back. You’ll be glad you did. I used the stock pickup for a good while before I decided to change it out.

Comment

the sd alnico pup is awesome! especially wired to a series/split/parallel switch

Comment

I think I'll get an SD MM after a while if the GFS doesn't work out. I've already spent too much money on guitars this month as-is.

Comment

To my ears, parallel sounds just like series if the volume and tone is turned down just a hair each. I like series because it gives you a wider range and you can then adjust to taste.

Comment

Definitely in agreement as far as bass goes. The nuances between the positions is lost at lower frequencies. In the end I decided to just hardwire it in series.

Comment

interesting. i always found parallel clearer (and lower output) than series when using mm pups

Comment

Working...
                              X