banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's up with the bass upper horn being fused to the neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Inflames626 View Post
    But my retainer equipped LTDs, which may have a small degree of headstock tilt, are holding tune a bit better than my retainer-less Jacksons.
    Not a knock against Jackson, but that headstock has the exact same problem as the Gibson headstock. Even if the headstock is tilted back less, the break angle is REALLY steep on some strings on those pointy headstock. That headstock shape looks really cool, but it's really more of a form over function design (if you're not using a locking nut).

IMO, of course.

I don't have a problem with my Gibbo staying in tune, but then again, I do have a Graphtech nut which looks cut well, and I use Big Bends on it as well. Oh, and Grover tuners. And a locking bridge and tailpiece.

Honestly, IMO, a Graphtech nut on it is own NEVER solves the problem of tuning inestability if the tuners are not good, and you don't use a bit of lube in it. Not even on a Fender-type headstock, IME.
    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 09-28-2023, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
      Not a knock against Jackson, but that headstock has the exact same problem as the Gibson headstock. Even if the headstock is tilted back less, the break angle is REALLY steep on some strings on those pointy headstock. That headstock shape looks really cool, but it's really more of a form over function design (if you're not using a locking nut).

IMO, of course.

I don't have a problem with my Gibbo staying in tune, but then again, I do have a Graphtech nut which looks cut well, and I use Big Bends on it as well. Oh, and Grover tuners. And a locking bridge and tailpiece.

Honestly, IMO, a Graphtech nut on it is own NEVER solves the problem of tuning inestability if the tuners are not good, and you don't use a bit of lube in it. Not even on a Fender-type headstock, IME.
      Never noticed the break angle, but now I see it. It might also be why I hear some funny things on my high E string on my OFR R8 nut combined with my Schaller bridge on my RR3 V I built from parts.

The guitar is set up right but it sounds like the high E string is just barely coming in contact with the lower side of the locking nut edge when played open. This isn't the case on my non-Jacksons, or even some other Jacksons.

It's also a 90s-00s MIJ Dinky neck but I'm fairly sure those fit 90s-00s RR MIJ bodies just fine as long as the fret number is the same.

So I'm guessing that high E string is directing downward and buzzing ever so slightly against the nut, but not enough to deaden it or knock it out of tune.

Comment

I don't love Jackson overall, TBH.

I love the Rhoads shape, but other than that, I much prefer Ibanez or ESP for Supestrats.

I used to have a 90's or 2000's Japanese DXMG. Underwhelming guitar, TBH, considering it was Japanese. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't at the level of ESP or even the lower-end non-Prestige Japanese Ibanez, TBH.

Comment

I seem to remember the DX10 lines not being well received at the time. Some of them were made in India. I have an Indian made Dinky with reverse headstock, HSS, Floyd Rose of a sort (the ball ends of the string hold it in the saddle).

They definitely all need hardware and pickup changes. I get them for the bodies.

Comment

Working...
          X