NB/GD: Ibanez SRC6MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NB/GD: Ibanez SRC6MS

Been wanting one of these for a while, and finally got one today! Ibanez's answer to the 6 string bass concept, the SRC6MS. It's my first fan fret instrument, which was surprisingly easy to get to grips with. It helps that the instrument was set up well out of the box, nice neat fret ends too.
    Plugged it in to my Laney Ironheart to see what it sounded like, both driven and not. It's interesting, is all I can say with about 10 minutes of playing. The pickups are fine, nothing particularly special imo. It has a nice girth when played clean, and is a nice blank canvas that you can really tweak with all the knobs (or pedals, it plays well with them too). When distortion is applied it starts to growl, but sounds best on the bridge pickup. If you blend the pickups it's bass character comes out and you get a weird sort of honky tone once you get beyond the 12th fret, something I've noticed before when distorting basses.
    Overall, this is a unique instrument, and will take some getting used to, especially when figuring out how to use it 'in context'. Should be fun though!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0427smaller.png
Views:	139
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	6256005 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0426smaller.png
Views:	128
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	6256006

I looked at that one when I was looking at getting a second bass. The price to quality ratio is great on those things.

How do you have it tuned?
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Always did like those. Let us know how it goes.
      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

kinda like a fanned fret baritone tuned an octave lower than a normal guitar?

Comment

I love this idea. A modern, properly designed Bass VI. I would totally dig one.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
            I looked at that one when I was looking at getting a second bass. The price to quality ratio is great on those things.

How do you have it tuned?
            Currently it's in standard EADGBE one octave lower. Low E is a tiny bit floppy, but fine for me as I'm used to guitars in drop C with a 46 gauge low C. Just for extra info the stock strings on it are 24-84.

kinda like a fanned fret baritone tuned an octave lower than a normal guitar?
            Exactly that. 30"-28.5" scale feels more guitar like than bass like, which was unexpected given the tuning, but really helps the playability.

Comment

Working...
            X