Jackson Spectra and CBXNT basses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Spectra and CBXNT basses

I've always been a big fan of buying used Jackson and LTD basses and upgrading the electronics, as they can often be found in the wild for about $200-400. I really dig the Jackson Concert Basses and have a few Ellefsons. (Even a rare circa 2000 Peavey Scorpio Ellefson PJ bass with Quarter Pounders for something like $200-300 bucks--which I got maybe 10 years ago. Great value for the money.)

I noticed the Jackson Spectra popped up a few years ago, which seems to be based on a Warwick or Ibanez type bass, and is thru neck at 35" for a pretty good price.

The CBXNT looks like some unholy mishmash between a PJ and Rickenbacker but doesn't know what it wants to be when it grows up.

Because these and LTD basses seem to often come with passive pickups and an OEM preamp, there are a lot of knob holes in the bodies, which makes for fun experimentation with something like Seymour Duncan NYC soapbars.

Anyway, I thought I'd get everyone's thoughts, mainly on the Spectra.

I'm building my first active bass soon. Actually maybe two. It will be five string and one will be EMG and one will be Blackouts, with the EMG in 24 volts. Probably passive tone controls. As a guitarist I'd rather just use the amp for that.

I'll have to spend some time going through EMG's active lineup but I'm guessing I will like a PJ setup in soapbar housings. Jazzes sound kind of wimpy to me, and dual coil soapbar humbuckers sound really dark. I don't like them as much as a full sized Musicman style humbucker, and ideally two of those on a 5 string.

I'm also considering some of the Schecter 6 strings, as they already come with actives I think, and just swapping the pickups out. I already have a Peavey Grind 6 stock for lower tunings, but the Schecter will most likely be E A D G C F or thereabouts.

Thanks much.

Those CBXNT look cool af
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Spectra IV looks like it's going for a Nordstrand influence with the polepieces. Thru neck. 35". A lot of bass for under $1000.

Comment

I love the 35" scale on my LTD bass. You know I like playing agressive, and that makes it hold together well. I do use 50 gauge stainless steel strings too, so high tension galore! Hahaha.

I also always wanted to try those NYC Duncans, but I decided against it since I was probably going to like one single sound from them by far the most, and would probably end up using that 99% of the time, thus wasting everything else in those nice pickups, haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
          I love the 35" scale on my LTD bass. You know I like playing agressive, and that makes it hold together well. I do use 50 gauge stainless steel strings too, so high tension galore! Hahaha.

I also always wanted to try those NYC Duncans, but I decided against it since I was probably going to like one single sound from them by far the most, and would probably end up using that 99% of the time, thus wasting everything else in those nice pickups, haha.
          I liked them because they seem versatile. I have an LTD neck thru F type from the late 00s I will probably remove the pickups from and replace with NYCs. Pretty sure the bass has ESP branded actives and an onboard pre.

Comment

Originally posted by Inflames626 View Post

I liked them because they seem versatile. I have an LTD neck thru F type from the late 00s I will probably remove the pickups from and replace with NYCs. Pretty sure the bass has ESP branded actives and an onboard pre.
            Mine is a '02 or '03. Bolt-on but Korean-made. Yours must be the F-254 or 255? Mine is the F-205, so the previous model. Mine came stock with EMG HZ's (it's the one we've talked about) and an active EMG 3-band EQ/preamp. I disconnected the preamp because I never use it. The HZ's are good, but I've always really wanted a Jazz Bass sound.

Comment

It was this, which I bought 8+ years ago, so don't get excited at the price.

Reverb is a marketplace bringing together a wide-spanning community to buy, sell, and discuss all things music gear.

I got this back in '15 as well. Two Stingray buckers on a 5. Not that common. EMG HZs so I will probably be fairly happy with them, although messing with split/parallel may not matter since those pickups tend to be fairly clean and low output anyway. They probably sum well together though without being overpowering. I haven't played it a lot. I may use it for Dyers Eve.

Hey everybodyHere I am selling my Schecter Damien Elite-5 string bass. I bought this bass brand new about 6 months ago and I have decided to thin out my collection of basses. This thing looks brand new and everything works perfectly, I barely even played it.Here is some info from the Schecter web...

Like I was sort of whining about months ago regarding an 8 string with a Floyd Rose and high A--pre-Covid gear manufacturers used to give you a lot more for your money than they do now. EMG doesn't even make a 5 string MM pickup anymore for general production unless you order it from them. It isn't listed on the site so I had to ask them about it. They said their 4 string MM would fit some narrow 5 strings but if you wanted an MM5 HZ you had to special order it from them now.

Again, everybody going EMG 45 soapbar or Jazz bass it seems.

Comment

Working...
              X