Recommendations for Warmoth Gecko 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for Warmoth Gecko 6

I'm building a project six string Warmoth Gecko bass for my son. They rout the bass for a pair of Duncan ASB2-6 / EMG 45 pickups. I assume the Duncan and EMG are both soap bars with the same shape. I admit to knowing way, way more about guitar pickups and almost nothing about bass pickups. I know J bass and P bass, but all the crazy soap bars and such are outside my knowledge bass.

So I'm looking for recommendations. My son plays all genres of music. He's kind of a bass fanatic after just a year. He plays the big upright double bass at school. He has a four string P bass and he often plays my five string jazz bass. His favorite bass player is probably Les Claypool. He plays a lot of that Primus stuff. He also plays John Paul Jones and Geddy Lee stuff too. He plays lots of rock. But he definitely likes to slap and pop.

As I THINK I understand it, the Duncan ASB and EMG 45 are 4.5" soap bars. But I have no idea what the differences are among the various Duncan soap bar offering for six string. I found these two on the website:
    - Active Soap Bar Phase I
    - Active Soap Bar Phase II
    Can anyone explain how they differ? Are these the only pickups of this shape/form factor offered by Duncan?

Sorry for all the questions, but I have to start somewhere. If I was building him a Strat, I'd have no problems!

While we are at it, with four controls, I assume there are control options. Volume, blend and some sort of EQ. Any Seymour Duncan recommendations?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.​

the size is the only real difference, you want the phase II for this application

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
      the size is the only real difference, you want the phase II for this application
      I called Warmoth yesterday. FWIW, they said that Phase I is the better fit.

Phase I matches Bartolini with the bigger corner radii. Phase II matches EMG with the smaller, sharper radii. Even thought their sight says that the pickup routs are ASB / EMG 45, they are actually programmed to better match the Bartolini shape. An EMG "might" be a tighter fit in the corners, requiring a little filing, routing or sanding. The guy said that an EMG 45 or Phase II Duncan might fit just fine, but it might be snug.

Comment

gotcha, good to know. i was only going off what you posted at the top where they said they routed it for duncan ASB2-6 / EMG 45. never hurts to go to the source!

Comment

Is there only one Duncan active soap bar design? One nice thing about EMG is the soap bars are available in P, J, JCS, DC and CS, both with standard and X preamp.
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
          X