Tryna get my hands around a Newport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tryna get my hands around a Newport

Epiphone has a new short 30.5" bass selling for like $400 new. I'm debating buying one to convert it to a piccolo bass. Anyone got any advice on this? I know nothing about piccolo, but I figured it would probably prefer to be done with a shorter scale, and I would steal the four highest strings from a bass VI string set?

Click image for larger version

Name:	preview.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	6277199
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Perhaps I would even consider just tuning it the bottom 4 strings of a six string, ADGC
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright

Comment

I actually like that. Also, the actual Squier Classic Vibe Bass VI is pretty cool, too.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Piccolo bass strings are cheap. They are tuned an octave below, making them the same as the first four strings on a guitar.
        EXL280 Nickel Wound Piccolo | Bass Guitar Strings | D'Addario (daddario.com)
        aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
          Piccolo bass strings are cheap. They are tuned an octave below, making them the same as the first four strings on a guitar.
          EXL280 Nickel Wound Piccolo | Bass Guitar Strings | D'Addario (daddario.com)
          I never knew how a piccolo bass was tuned until now.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            I actually like that. Also, the actual Squier Classic Vibe Bass VI is pretty cool, too.
            Yeah it's almost like a EB0 meets Wilshire. Looks like it would be very well suited for a lighter set of strings. I tried one of the Squier VI's and must admit it is pretty cool.

perhaps this could also be a good time to revisit my cello-bass idea from earlier. It would give me a few more low notes (C2 to A3 versus E2 to G3) plus it would fit an e-bow. Then I would have to decide if I wanted to go fretless or not. hmm

Comment

I bet that would be awesome with an E-bow!

Comment

I'd wanna replace the mudbuckers though. That was the reason I didn't get an Epiphone EB-# when I was looking short scale. I ended up getting a Gretsch G2210, which off-the-shelf sounded really close to my Rickenbacker.

Comment

Allegedly the mudbucker is actually not at all like an actual mudbucker, but you're right. I'd want to do research on it before pulling the trigger lest I wind up with a sound that quite frankly isn't for me.

Comment

Mudbuckers are stupidly named. Back in the 70's I bought a Gibson one from a store and installed it in the bridge position of my first bass (a Magnatone Hurricane). It sounded terrific. Plenty of presence and clarity - fingers or pick. Lots louder than the stock single coil, and quieter. Sounded as good as my Rick. Used it on a number of songs every night we played.

Comment

I'm just saying I sat and played 4-5 different model short scale basses (Fender, Ibanez, Gretsch, Epiphone, etc.) and the recent-era EB was impossible. I had to hit it hard to get any volume out of it and couldn't get any useful tone out of it. It did sound a bit vintage, but it only did one thing, and not that well IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                        Mudbuckers are stupidly named. Back in the 70's I bought a Gibson one from a store and installed it in the bridge position of my first bass (a Magnatone Hurricane). It sounded terrific. Plenty of presence and clarity - fingers or pick. Lots louder than the stock single coil, and quieter. Sounded as good as my Rick. Used it on a number of songs every night we played.
                        the mudbucker thing, i believe, comes from that beast being placed at the neck. its a woolly beast up there. its a cool design and different than most pups ive seen

Comment

Placement along the string plays a big role in the tone you'll get. They are rightly referred to as sidewinders because of their construction.

Comment

Working...
                          X