Sterling by MusicMan sub series Stingray Ray4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sterling by MusicMan sub series Stingray Ray4

I took one of these in on a trade the other day. Anyone own one and did you upgrade it? I will be upgrading the pickup with either a Seymour Duncan or an Aguilar because the stock pickup is too hot. I'll decide after installing a new pickup if I'm going to replace the preamp as well. Any recommendations and suggestions on parts are appreciated.

The pickup is NOT hot. The preamp is.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
      The pickup is NOT hot. The preamp is.
      This is my first and only active bass so my experience is lacking. Videos I've watched stated that the issue is with the pickup. Maybe I misspoke about that. My understanding is that the issue with the hot preamp was taken care of before they came out with the latest model. Supposedly, the model that has the "SUB" on the headstock was the one with the hot preamp. But, that could be wrong, I don't really know. I'll have to do some more research. If it's the preamp also I'll be looking to replace that, as well.

Do you have more information ICTGoober? Thanks.
      Last edited by Explorer84; 05-02-2024, 04:10 PM.

Comment

After reviewing the specific video about this bass, the guy does state that both the preamp and pickup is hot. I clearly missed him stating that the preamp was hot. So I'll be replacing the preamp. Thanks for the clarification ICTGoober.

Comment

stingrays are usually pretty hot basses all around

Comment

I have a 2020ish model Sub4 that is pretty great. The preamp is fine volume wise, but the thing was loud. Swapping the pickup on it's own should fix the problem purely because the factory pickup is wired in series, but Stingrays are traditionally wired in parallel. I replaced mine with a GFS model that made a pretty big improvement. The new GFS MM pickups with the quick connect system have a 3 wire system, so unless you tweak the internals, your only options with it are series/split.
            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

couldnt ya just rewire the stock pup in parallel? when i made basses with mm pups, i always wired em for series/split/parallel to get more options

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                I have a 2020ish model Sub4 that is pretty great. The preamp is fine volume wise, but the thing was loud. Swapping the pickup on it's own should fix the problem purely because the factory pickup is wired in series, but Stingrays are traditionally wired in parallel. I replaced mine with a GFS model that made a pretty big improvement. The new GFS MM pickups with the quick connect system have a 3 wire system, so unless you tweak the internals, your only options with it are series/split.
                They are great little basses! Yep, they’re loud. Replacing the pickup was suggested in a video I watched. In the video, the guy installed a new pickup and kept the stock preamp in it. Definitely an improvement. He ended up installing a new preamp as well.

I’ll start with installing a new pickup and then decide if I need to replace the preamp. When I set the bass knob in afterburner (full) mode the signal does distort. I can back off on the volume to remedy this but I find it as a temporary solution.

I’ll check out the GFS pickup. I’m not familiar with the brand at all. I’m looking to keep things in parallel. Keep things standard. Parallel pickup, bass/treble cut/boost. Simple. Speaking of parallel. It was stated that some pickups did come with four wires so that you could wire it in parallel. I haven’t pulled the pickup to see if I happen to be one of the lucky ones. It’s odd that they would send some with this option and not all of them. Cost of production, I suppose.

Did you replace the tuners/bridge on your bass? If so, did you find drop-in replacements? I’m having a hard time finding tuners. Hipshot has/had tuners for this bass but I’ve read that they’re no longer produced or they’re a custom order item.

Thanks for the information. I appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                  couldnt ya just rewire the stock pup in parallel? when i made basses with mm pups, i always wired em for series/split/parallel to get more options
                  No and yes. Some basses were shipped with pickups with the option to wire it in parallel. If I understand this correctly you need a pickup with four wires to do this. Please correct me if I’m wrong. I don’t know squat about active electronics. Some basses had them most of them didn’t. I haven’t pulled my pickup to see if I’m able to do that. My next string change I’ll check and see.

Comment

the pup itself is passive, so like any other passive humbucker, but yes you do need four conductor wiring. even if yours isnt that way, you could make it that way

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                      the pup itself is passive, so like any other passive humbucker, but yes you do need four conductor wiring. even if yours isnt that way, you could make it that way
                      How? I’m all ears!

Comment

there is a start and finish wire for each coil, connect each one of those to a longer wire. you can buy the little four color wire plus bare bundle that you typically see on four conductor humbuckers. im sure theres a youtube video out there

Comment

Definitely rewire from series to parallel if your pickup has 4-wire leads. Don't know much about GFS but they are not known to have top of the line pickups/accessories. Maybe save money a bit longer and get a better pickup.

Lowendlobster made some videos on youtube about Sub pickups and preamps. Have a look before swapping anything.

Comment

Originally posted by donaldr View Post
                            Definitely rewire from series to parallel if your pickup has 4-wire leads. Don't know much about GFS but they are not known to have top of the line pickups/accessories. Maybe save money a bit longer and get a better pickup.

Lowendlobster made some videos on youtube about Sub pickups and preamps. Have a look before swapping anything.
                            That's the guy! He has a great series on modifying a Ray4. I've watched each video a couple of times to see what direction I wanted to go with the preamp and pickup. He did a good job with the videos. Very informative.

Comment

What was the deal with the SUB series? Were they the same as Stirling or something else entirely?
                              --------------------------------------------------------
                              1973 Aria 551
                              1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
                              1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
                              1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
                              1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
                              1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
                              2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Working...
                              X