banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How highs your action and what style do you play?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How highs your action and what style do you play?

Originally posted by Rid
    I use 0-999s and have them about a pinchharmonic away.....I drilled my Floyd so it could accept the strings....
    I play brew music....it er brews...strangly too.
    Got a grand piano with a floyd too.
    wOw, thHATs hOW my GuItARs AND piANo Are sETuP tOO!
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

gud setuph man.....love those Kravel pianos with Floyds.
      In all white too.....Liberace go die...oh sorry he is

Comment

hmm who's smoking what now ?

GJ i wanna hear u in one of the forum jams btw theres one keano12 is doing thats cool atm
        My clips

Originally posted by Rid
        How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer
          actually ive never measured. its as low as it can be without buzzing. on my music man, with a scalloped neck, you can dig in no matter how low the action is. i dont like to work very hard.
          Yep, as low as it can be without buzzing. I don't like to work very hard either!

Comment

When your adjustin the action does the nut height matter?

Also can you adjust the action with a floyd much?
            "And be grateful. Our scars have the power to remind us that the past was real." Hannibal Lecter

Comment

I dunno, but pretty low. I learn 80's metal songs, but whenever I create something of my own, it's pop/rock.
              Watch My Videos
              Photography
              www.myspace.com/thebillyhong
              "Anything worth living for is worth suffering for."

Comment

I set mine mostly by eye and feel but my measurements are usually around 5/64" on bass and treble sides at the 12th frets unfretted...I Like my strings up a bit so I can get under them..

John
                Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
                  I set mine mostly by eye and feel but my measurements are usually around 5/64" on bass and treble sides at the 12th frets unfretted...I Like my strings up a bit so I can get under them..

John
                  I agree buddy.

Comment

at the 12th fret my 1st string is 3/64" off the fret and the 6th string is 5/64" off the fret. I play Blues/Southern/Rock mostly with little bit of everything else just to change up the tempo now and then. My rhythem/lead ratio is about 60/40 per gig.
                    ~Sid

"If you play a Nickelback song backwards you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward you'll hear Nickelback." ~David Grohl

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97

John
                      Actually my measurements are higher than I thought..More like 6/64" Bass and 5.5/64" treble..

John
                      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Dunno the measurements, but medium/low. Not too hard to play, but high enough that I don't have strings slip under when I bend. 10-46 D'addarios and GHS Nickel Rockers. 9s feel like rubber bands to me. I prefer medium jumbo frets.

I play funk, afrobeat, blues, rock, fusion, etc...
                        Originally posted by Jolly
                        ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

I play heavier stuff for the most part, my "standard" action is 1.14mm high E, 1.3 Low E (Measurement top of 12th fret to bottom of string with string fretted at the first Fret ). Strings are DR Tite-Fit 12-52

Some guitars have a bit higher, notably acoustics, and some are a tad lower
                          Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Originally posted by 68 lost souls
                            Yes, though not as much as the stuff at the other end. Improper nut height will mainly affect your first couple frets, with the effect diminishing as you go down the neck.

Yes. Easily enough for any setup, I would think.

I just went through this on my guitars... I set the action at about 1mm, measured at the 14th fret (on both 1st string and 6th string). I play metal, and do a lot of solo stuff... 1mm seems to be a nice number for me.

If you're shooting for low action (4/64" or lower), you'll probably need to make sure your neck is set nearly perfect, otherwise you may fret out, or get a lot of buzz. Tune your guitar to your standard tuning, then put a capo on the 1st fret. Press down on the last fret, and then measure the clearance between the fret and string (on the 6th string) at the 8th fret. This clearance should be about .010", If it's more than that, tighten your truss rod. If it's less than that, loosen your truss rod. I usually tighten or loosen in 1/8 turn increments, unless I have a guitar that's REALLY far off.

This setup is certainly not the only way to do it, but it has worked well for me... to get low action with the least amount of fret buzz. And remember, if you change your tuning or string gauge, you'll need to readjust the neck. The truss rod is there to counteract the pull against your neck from the strings... so any changes to the forces your strings are putting on the neck will affect it.

~
                            Last edited by ADS; 07-02-2004, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 68 lost souls
                              Yes, and no. As ADS said, the nut affects the open strings the most, and the effect diminishes as you "go up". But the Intonation will be more or less off everywhere if the nut is too high, because as soon as you get one portion of the neck spot on the rest will be out of whack

But most people capo the first fret to set the action, just to make sure the nut isnīt part of the equation, as itīs one of the variables. And if you can simply drop a variable out of an equation, itīs usually a good idea to do so....

As stated in another thread, Floyds have Posts that are almost an inch long, and only about a fourth of that has to be in the insert for stability. Gives you about 3/4 of an inch of travel. In almost 15 years as a Tech and luthier
                              Iīve NEVER seen a guitar that needed anywhere near that amount of adjustment
                              Last edited by Zerberus; 07-02-2004, 08:06 AM.
                              Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

I like the action low at about a 16th" at the last fret for both low and high E's.
                                I use 9-42's and play metal with shred leads with dark and heavy rhythms.
                                another thing i was taught is the necks relief it has a lot to do with how any action will feel and sound.
                                i like .008 relief at the 7-8th fret area so it is not perfectly straight this allows the fret buzz to be reduced on the neck with a super low action

Comment

Working...
                                X