Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Scooped Mid Rhythm Tones: Your opinions

Originally posted by Quencho092
    unless you play nu metal, scooping the mids is a major no no. The premier rock amp of all time, Marshall, was built on bone crushing upper mid tone, i dont know where the scoop craze came from all the sudden.

But it didn't come all of a sudden. Metallica's been doing it for over 20 years.

Scooping keeps your sound tighter under high gain, which is good for stuff like thrash, but it comes at the risk of dissapearing guitar syndrome if your not careful.

Oddly enough, Metallica doesn't scoop their amps. The run the amp normally and scoop with either the post gain EQ on the Mark IIC+, or with a rack mounted EQ between the preamp and the power amp.
    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

With mids it all depends on what your ears hear not what the settings are at.
      PRS McCarty (59n, 59b)
      1990 Fender Strat Japan (SSL-1, SSL-1, APS-1)

Orange Dual Terror Head
      Blackstar HT-5
      2 Fender 12" Cabs with Celestion G12H30, Vintage 30
      Vox Pathfiinder 15R

Comment

didn't metallica stop scooping their mids during the load albums?

and then when st anger happened they streted doing it again?

i guess trhats why i think load soudns great and the other tones aren't that great

Comment

On my eq...

30hz a bit down, 60 hz and 120hz a bit higher but still down, 300 and 600 hz a bit down againand then 1khz all the way to 8khz is flat, then -16decibles at 15khz to help remove noise.

So all in all it looks like this:

(zero)------------__-__-__-__------
          ---__- __---------------------------
          __--------__ __--------------------
          ------------------------------------
          (-16)_--------------------------__

Does that mean I scoop my mids? What frequencies would be considered mids? Maybe I'm scooping my lower mids and relatively boosting my upper mids?

I scoop a bit at 300hz because it sounds muddy otherwise. I scoop at 600hz because it sounds cheep otherwise. It sounds crappy if I mess with 1000hz and above.

When using three dials (bass mid high), for metal I'll scoop the mids all the way. Put the treble up high, put the mids up just enough that I start hearing those harmonics, and put the bass up just enough to get the right level of power and fullness. But what I really like doing is putting the mids at 10, bass up just enough to make it sound right (usually turns out to a 3 or 4), and treble up just enough to make it sound right (4), but it depends on the guitar...

As a rule if I want to crank what I consider to be mids, to make it sound right my bass has to go down. If I want more bass, the mids have to go down.... it's just what sounds right to me.
          Last edited by theboatcandream; 09-02-2004, 10:54 PM.

Comment

I recently discovered how important mids are... they really fatten up the sound but I find the bass is sucked out a tiny bit. But with a Metal Zone what can I expect
            • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
            • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
            • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
            • G&L Tribute Comanche
            • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
            • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
            • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Working...
            X