• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pedals=second rate tone, mediocre sustain

Here's a pedal that IS a M-F'ing "valve amp!"

Comment

I really think its to each his or her own. i personally when playing live use a few stomps. i learned the hard way that alot of stomp manufacturers use gimmicks to get you to buy but you should really [at least any good shop] take the time to plug in the stomp and listen to it and twist some knobs. i wouldnt ever buy a stomp because the name implies its all that.
      http://www.soundclick.com/bands/0/mybrokensoulmusic.htm

4yrs of college + 1 B.A. + 40,000 in student loans = 64k per yr job I hate, help me please

Peavey XXX
      Schecter 006 Elite
      SD Invader
      Pro tools

Comment

its really an older model, probably early 80's. the new classics are real different i know
        2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

guitar is really fine-action high enough to avoid all buzz near perfect setup. but the tone of distortion pedals on my clean peavey sounds awful most of the time. ive gotten good sounds off my band teacher's dsl2000, and my bandmate's jcm800, so i guess i simply can't stand stomp boxes.

and to answer your second comment, i have 2 other guitars with humbuckers and switched to single coils because i sought the smooth, lightly "distortion glazed" strat tones of early iron maiden. i play in a metal cover band, but my musical tastes have been maturing more toward jazz and classic rock/blues, so i chose a strat to get the best of both worlds-most versatile blues/rock guitar-and it's even great for classic metal tones. the guitar is not a problem then, as i have tried it out with other better amps than my own and have gotten sweet sounds out of it. what i do want to find out is if there's any way i could squeeze more tone out of my peavey classic (old) using pedals (preferably overdrive), new tubes etc.
          Last edited by Quencho092; 07-05-2004, 11:18 PM.
          2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

Well it seems that you have just not tried anything worth the while then.
            Pedals are not created equally.

Comment

pedals are not the problem. unless if you have a metal zone or something like that.
              i was at a party on saturday with a bunch of musicians. got to play on this guys smaller rig. it consisted of a fedner MIM strat w/ lindy fralin vintage hot's in it, a peavey classic 30 combo, a pedal board of a BOSS ds-1, vox wah, some other overdive pedal, some chorus pedal, a BOSS digital delay, and some voodoo lab pedals. now let me tell you this, that was probbaly the best tone i have ever heard. i almost sounded like eirc johnson through that!!!! the tone was insane, so beautiful clean as well as avery awesome blues/rock tone.

Comment

Ill just post up my personal experiences with this.

Ive just bought a high quality hand wired and point to point true bypassed (i guess you could call it boutique) dave ulbrick distortion pedal, and it sounds fantastic! Ive just been using it as a bit of a booster to my already heavy channels on my ENGL and it sounds great for solo stuff.

Good quality pedal with good amp = good tone.

Bad quality amp with pretty much anything = bad (or at least mediocre) tone.
                My Soundclick page.

Comment

Originally posted by Quencho092
                  and to answer your second comment, i have 2 other guitars with humbuckers and switched to single coils because i sought the smooth, lightly "distortion glazed" strat tones of early iron maiden. i play in a metal cover band, but my musical tastes have been maturing more toward jazz and classic rock/blues, so i chose a strat to get the best of both worlds-most versatile blues/rock guitar-and it's even great for classic metal tones. the guitar is not a problem then, as i have tried it out with other better amps than my own and have gotten sweet sounds out of it. what i do want to find out is if there's any way i could squeeze more tone out of my peavey classic (old) using pedals (preferably overdrive), new tubes etc.
                  Maiden's guitarists have always used bridge humbuckers. In the early days, Murray used a vintage Strat, with what appears to be a DiMarzio pup in the bridge. (PAF or PAF Pro? Dunno for certain) Might've been a Gibson pup, also, but I doubt it, judging by the sound he had. He also had a Strat with a nickel covered humbucker in the bridge, probably a Gibson PAF. Adrian smith used an Ibanez Destroyer, also with a humbucker in the bridge. The sound they got was from using lower gain amps, which they kicked into distortion with high output pups, much the same as Judas Priest did in the late 70's, early 80's. (Listen to the guitar sound on Sin after Sin, for example.

I understand that you want the versatility of a Strat, but if you want the crunch of metal, even a bladed pup won't suffice without some kind of additional gain stage. My Strat has Joe Barden pups in it, and I still use an OD pedal to kick the gain into high gear. I play in a NWOBHM style band as well.
                  Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                  My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

as said before.. the pedal is NOT your problem, a great amp is the way to good tone

i put a stock DS-1 in front of my sovtek tube amp and was cranking out almost mesa like tones with a more tamed sound (i was lovein' it) then i threw a keeley modded DS-1 in front and maaaannnnnnnnnnn i wouldn't trade it for the world

one you settle with a nice amp, your opinion might change (unless you get something like matchless, then theres no reason for pedals )

Comment

I like to use pedals to sweeten the sound. Chorus, Delay, Leslie. That being said I use two Amps. Marshall & Fender. Both tube, both soud really good. I use pedals mainly because of Volume. It is very hard to get a great Amp to sound great at lower volume. It is much easier if you have a "Good Quality" OD pedal to help with this. But it all starts with a really good Amp!
                      "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                      "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

thanks everyone, now i sort of have a good idea. Does a fender bassman 58 RI overdrive well witha pedal, and which would you recommend?

Comment

on another note, what would make a good guitar preamp to create saturation without that painful grit i always get with Art Tube Pac tube preamp/compressors and other big name preamps.

Comment

You mentioned new tubes...I thought the old Classic series peavey amps were solid state? It's possible that either the preamp or power amp is solid state while the other uses tubes. I don't remember for sure. If the amp does have tubes, what brand are they and when was the last time they were replaced? Power tubes have a typical lifespan of one year under normal playing conditions, give or take a few months. Preamp tubes should last several years. If it's been a while, the first thing I would do is try a new set of JJ tubes. If you have a tube preamp in that Classic, try a set of JJ 12AX7 tubes graded for high gain.

Ryan
                            Originally posted by JOLLY
                            I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Originally posted by Quencho092
                              on another note, what would make a good guitar preamp to create saturation without that painful grit i always get with Art Tube Pac tube preamp/compressors and other big name preamps.

Overdrive the power amp.
                              || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

whats the best technique for overdriving a power amp, as i want to prevent that nasty grit that my peavey generates

Comment

Working...
                                X