Intonation and tuning problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intonation and tuning problems

Hi I have a fairly cheap essex Gibson SG copy which I use once in a while its suprisingly very heavy (would u know why). I actually really like the sound of it and it sounds pretty similar to the real SG's. I am having problems with the intonation especially with the 3rd G string. The tuners dont stay in tune very long since they are like the old gibson deluxe tuners, and I have had the bridge saddle intonated at the local guitar shop. The neck is fairly straight. I got it back from them and It is better but when I change strings again It seems to slightly worse.

What do I need to do? buy a new chrome bridge saddle or tuners?
    Can I fix this problem or is the guitar just a non fixable conundrum?
    PRS McCarty (59n, 59b)
    1990 Fender Strat Japan (SSL-1, SSL-1, APS-1)

Orange Dual Terror Head
    Blackstar HT-5
    2 Fender 12" Cabs with Celestion G12H30, Vintage 30
    Vox Pathfiinder 15R

Re: Intonation and tuning problems

The first thing to do is make sure that you're wrapping the strings properly around the tuning pegs. Take a look at Scott's post in the vault, it has close-up pictures of a locking wrap technique. Next thing to check are the tuners. Locking tuners or a higher quality brand of non-locking tuners might be a good idea. You could also try an 18 gauge wound G string. Finally, make sure the strings are stretched properly, and that they are not binding at the nut or bridge saddles. A graphite nut might not be a bad idea.

Ryan
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Yeah, i agree with rspst14... And problems with intonation? It can be fret(s) who is a troublemaker

Comment

Switching to a wound third string "G" solved my tuning problems.

Comment

Most likley the tuners are the problem. Get a good set of locking tuners, a graphite nut and graphite saddles. This should solve some of the problems. When you restring the guitar as Ryan stated lock the strings in correctly. On Gibson style guitars I prefer to change the strings from the ouside to the middle. It stablizes the bridge and tailpiece as you go. Check the intonation as well. IF your harmonic is flat at the 12th frett the saddle needs to be moved forward. Easy to remember FLAT = FORWARD
          "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
          "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Locking tuners will not make a big difference. I have the kluson style tumers on all my guitars because that is my preference for tonal and aesthetic reason and I have no tuning problems assuming the nut and saddles are cut correctly, and I wind the strings correctly.

Comment

You don't need to buy anything but a pro setup. Your whole problem is the intonation and the way the nut is cut. After the action and trussrod are setup perfectly, the notes on the neck from about the 10th fret up to the 20th need to read DEAD CENTER on a tuner. The open notes need to read dead center between all adjustments.
              For example, if the open note is perfect and the fretted 14th fret is flat, that saddle needs to move toward the neck. If the fretted 16th fret is sharp, the saddle moves away from the neck. First, intonate for the 12th fret....then go back and fine tune your intonation by checking all the notes on the upper fretboard.
              If this doesn't cure your problem, and chords still ring sour on open chords, you probably need to have a tech cut deeper slots in your nut. That way, the strings won't bend sharp, when fretted at the 2nd fret.
              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Ive had it setup in a guitar shop (im not sure if it is proffessional) but also the tech guy suggested new tuners would do the trick. He also said that lots of SG's (since it is an SG) have intonation problems due to the neck and bridge. being double cutaway and all, and the hardest guitars to intonate he though were the Gibson Explorers and flying V's. Anyway i got it back and it did improve slightly, but he said its not perfect but thats is close as i can get it thats why I asked the question here cause it seemed unfixable. Oh and the nut looks like its been cut pretty deep maybe thats the problem?
                PRS McCarty (59n, 59b)
                1990 Fender Strat Japan (SSL-1, SSL-1, APS-1)

Orange Dual Terror Head
                Blackstar HT-5
                2 Fender 12" Cabs with Celestion G12H30, Vintage 30
                Vox Pathfiinder 15R

Comment

Working...
                X