banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exactly what exactly do preamp tubes actually do compared to power amp tubes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exactly what exactly do preamp tubes actually do compared to power amp tubes?

At the moment i am under the impression that preamp tubes create a sound character that is then amplified to extreme volumes by the power amp tubes. But different power amp tubes have different effects on the tone as well.

I really dont know much about how tube amps actually work and what affects what and from where. I have an idea but nothing concrete.

Please teach me
    My Soundclick page.

Thats pretty much all you need to know.

Unless you want to get all technical, thats about what you want to kow.

Comment

Re: Exactly what exactly do preamp tubes actually do compared to power amp tubes?

Originally posted by Young Angus
      At the moment i am under the impression that preamp tubes create a sound character that is then amplified to extreme volumes by the power amp tubes. But different power amp tubes have different effects on the tone as well.

I really dont know much about how tube amps actually work and what affects what and from where. I have an idea but nothing concrete.

Please teach me
      The preamp tubes and all of the components and component values make up the initial overall tonality and personality of your amp....The output section takes this preamped tone and brings it to your speakers....This is a terribly simplified explanation because of the other parts of the amp we're leaving out... We're leaving out other important things like Class A or Class A/B operation of the power tubes,design,plate voltages,bias,how many gain stages in the preamp,how many preamp tubes for the gain stages,etc....And on and on..

The power tubes and power tube type also greatly influence the overall tone you hear of an amp..Most importantly to mention though,is that it's the sum of each and every component within an amp that influences what the amp will sound like...
      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

dont forget class b, plus Ab can be either AB1 or Ab2

germ
        Jeremy Ledford
        Tone Guru Extroardinaire
        Tone Shop

Comment

Originally posted by lastwinj
          dont forget class b, plus Ab can be either AB1 or Ab2

germ
          Right...Trying to K.I.S.S.

John
          Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

i think it is fair to generalize and say that preamp tubes effect your sound from the moment the signal hits the input jack ... irrespective of volume, the preamp tubes are shaping your tone as part of the overall circuitry ... i think that more often than not, the power tubes arent effect your tone as much (although they obviously are effecting it somewhat) until they are being pushed hard

this is a simplification, but i think it holds
            hope it helps
            cheers,
            t4d
            gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Working...
            X