Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easy soldering question for you guys

On this schematic here
    where it says "red and white soldered together," Does it mean I have to ground those two? Or can I leave the red and white (soldered together) just hanging without being grounded? I'm a beginner. Thanks.

-Greg

Re: Easy soldering question for you guys

Originally posted by StrangeDay
    On this schematic here
    where it says "red and white soldered together," Does it mean I have to ground those two? Or can I leave the red and white (soldered together) just hanging without being grounded? I'm a beginner. Thanks.

-Greg
    Solder the red and white together and let them lay un-grounded making sure those wires don't come in contact with anything else...I always use some heat shrink on the connections..

John
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

i think you float them just because there is no ground symbal...

(edit) damn it STRATDELUXER97 you beat me to the answer i took to long to hit submit
      Last edited by Chi3f; 03-23-2004, 09:14 PM.
      boreddddddddddd

Comment

uh oh... Guys, what happens if I solder the wires (together) to the back of the volume pot? that's what I did Is that what's causing the noise?!!! Darn. Oh well, I thought I did OK for my first time.

Comment

Originally posted by StrangeDay
          uh oh... Guys, what happens if I solder the wires (together) to the back of the volume pot? that's what I did Is that what's causing the noise?!!! Darn. Oh well, I thought I did OK for my first time.
          If memory serves me right...It's red and white soldered together, and left to lay not connected to anything,green and bare wires to ground(Volume pot ground)and black to hot(The switch)...This just gives you series Duncan humbucker...

John
          Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Thanks, but do you guys know what happens to the sound if the red and white are grounded? Does this cause noise, damage? I'm going to unsolder them off of the volume pot when I get home, but I'm just curious to know if this causes any damage.

Comment

Yeah, I discovered that was the main reason for my hum way back when. Red and white can't touch anything but themselves. That will help with any breakup in tone or hum

Don't worry, it doesn't cause any damage so you'll be fine
              Originally posted by kevlar3000
              I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
              Originally posted by Zerberus
              Better is often the enemy of good
              Originally posted by ginormous
              Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Originally posted by the_Chris
                Yeah, I discovered that was the main reason for my hum way back when. Red and white can't touch anything but themselves. That will help with any breakup in tone or hum

Don't worry, it doesn't cause any damage so you'll be fine
                YES!!! So, my guitar can only sound BETTER!

Comment

After you solder those red and white wires together, wrap em with a piece of electrical tape.
                  Only The Strong Survive

Comment

Thanks, 59 paul.

Guys, I'm working on the guitar right now. What do I do with the wire that has no cover around it? Do I wrap it around the green and ground them both?

Comment

GOnna get back to work now, thanks to 59 paul! I'll be back in no time!!

Comment

Glad I could help !!!
                        Only The Strong Survive

Comment

Grounding the red and white wires will split the humbucker (and give you the noise of a single-coil ). That's why the red/white "joint" needs to be insulated if you're aren't planning on having the option of splitting the humbucker. As far as the bare wire is concerned, it just needs to be grounded. Doesn't matter how, as long as it is.

Comment

Originally posted by LH_
                            Grounding the red and white wires will split the humbucker (and give you the noise of a single-coil ). That's why the red/white "joint" needs to be insulated if you're aren't planning on having the option of splitting the humbucker. As far as the bare wire is concerned, it just needs to be grounded. Doesn't matter how, as long as it is.
                            I'm learning a whole lot today! I'm starting to feel like one of you guys!

Comment

LH said what I was going to say, but I'll use this space to say:

"Thats a nice lookin' Tele' in your avatar."

(I love simple sunburst.)

Comment

Working...
                              X