5-way switch....which way round?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5-way switch....which way round?

I've got a Squire strat which I'm in the middle of putting some new pickups in, and I decided to put a new switch in at the same time (the old one was suffering from squire-strat-crackly-switch-itus).

Here's the switch I've bought:

Now, this is a little different to the one I'm taking out, so I can't work out which way round it goes? Looking at the picture you get if you follow the link above, should I be soldering the pickup wires onto the tabs on the side facing towards the screen, or the side facing away? I'm guessing it's the side facing towards the screen, but I'd ba gratefule if someone could clarify this for me.

Re: 5-way switch....which way round?

It doesn't matter. Basically, this is two, electrically isolated switches, with a common handle. In an "ordinary" 5-way wiring, you only need one side.

The other side can be used for "optional" wiring schemes, like coil splitting, etc.

(Although, generally, with a Strat, the other side is used to switch in the two tone controls.)

Like here: Strat wiring

Comment

Re: 5-way switch....which way round?

Originally posted by ArtieToo
      It doesn't matter. Basically, this is two, electrically isolated switches, with a common handle. In an "ordinary" 5-way wiring, you only need one side.

The other side can be used for "optional" wiring schemes, like coil splitting, etc.

(Although, generally, with a Strat, the other side is used to switch in the two tone controls.)

Like here: Strat wiring
      Hi,

Thanks for the advice, sorry the thank-you has been a long time coming, had a busy weekend again

I got the wiring sorted, after only one minor mistake, I left out the wire bridging the tab on the left hand side to the tab on the right hand side

That particular wire doesn't show up very well when printing off the SD wiring diagram in black and white. Never mind, sorted now!

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
      X