Good phaser for humbucker axe???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good phaser for humbucker axe???

I'm looking to incorporate a phaser pedal into my setup: Les Paul Custom->Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah->Phaser->Boogie Dual Rect. I played the MXR 90 with a strat through a boogie and I absolutely fell in love with it!!! Then I read the Harmony Central reviews and a large number of the humbucker users said it sounded like ass. All of the great reviews came from single coil dudes. So... is it as bad as they say with HBs?? If so, is there a recommended Phaser for use with humbuckers?

By the way... I'm a lefty and this shop had no lefty HB guitars so I had to use the Strat. And it's not a convenient place to go back to with my axe.

Any help would be
    1978 Lefty Gibson Les Paul Custom (C5 bridge, Jazz neck) with Jimmy Page wiring
    1996 Lefty Fender Jazzmaster (w/ SD Antiquity IIs)
    2003 Lefty Taylor 414RCE (Rosewood Limited Edition with Expression System)
    Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier 3-channel through Marshall 1960A cabinet via THD HotPlate
    Effects: Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah, Fulltone DejaVibe, Maxon Rotary Phaser (PH-350), Boss DD6, Boss RC20 LoopStation, BBE Sonic Stomp

Re: Good phaser for humbucker axe???

The Phase 90 needs a few simple mods to sound its best.

1) Removing the Pre and De-emphasis will result in a slightly higher noise
    floor while raising the headroom at 1.3Khz +3dB and 7.2Khz +12dB. Procedure:
    Remove C11 (.01MF) and C12 (680PF).
    2) Removing the feedback around the Phaser circuit will diminish
    regeneration. This will result in a mellower effect, reduce the midrange
    frequency response, and sound more like the earlier SCRIPT MXR Phase 90s.
    Procedure: Remove R28 (24K).
    3) For lowering the overall effect output change R7 from 150K to a 100K
    or -3dB reduction, R7 150K to a for -2dB reduction. This modification
    should only be done in conjunction with modification #1.

Modifications #1 and #2 can be done separately or together.

Comment

And now, for the visual portion of our show ...
      ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
      ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
      Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Hehe yeah plus it would be adviseable to put the phaser before the overdrive.
        If the amp does the job, use it in the front and with pedals before.
        Or you will get some very funny shrill notes from time to time in the sweep.

Comment

Originally posted by Rid
          Hehe yeah plus it would be adviseable to put the phaser before the overdrive.
          If the amp does the job, use it in the front and with pedals before.
          Or you will get some very funny shrill notes from time to time in the sweep.
          Ordinarily you wouldn't put most modulation effects before overdrive, but since phasers have so much in common with filters anyway (well they are when you think about it) it kinda makes sense to do it here. Although a phaser can sound good after, the increased harmonics makes the phaser turn into MONGO-PHASER ... kinda cool, but a bit distracting.Listen to something like a twelve stage phaser after distortion, and it is positively mind twisting ...
          ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
          ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
          Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

StratDeluxer97 cleaned up and tweaked an MIJ Boss BF-2 for me and now it is the bomb!
            My Bands -
            https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
            www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
            www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
            GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Thanks guys! I'm gald to hear the Phase 90 is mod'able. Does anyone know if StratDeluxer mods these pedals? I'd love to give the business to a fellow lefty!!!
              1978 Lefty Gibson Les Paul Custom (C5 bridge, Jazz neck) with Jimmy Page wiring
              1996 Lefty Fender Jazzmaster (w/ SD Antiquity IIs)
              2003 Lefty Taylor 414RCE (Rosewood Limited Edition with Expression System)
              Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier 3-channel through Marshall 1960A cabinet via THD HotPlate
              Effects: Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah, Fulltone DejaVibe, Maxon Rotary Phaser (PH-350), Boss DD6, Boss RC20 LoopStation, BBE Sonic Stomp

Comment

I would guess he does but IM him to be certain.

John is great to deal with.
                My Bands -
                https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Or, you could just by my Sobbat Phase II pedal from me. It surpasses the Phase 90 imho. I'm probably going to put it up on Ebay later today.
                  (2) Randall RM4 preamps, VHT 2502 Power amp, 2 2x12 Bogner cabs w/V30's and Lead 80's, '74 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop, '89 Gibson Les Paul Cherryburst, '93 Stratocaster, and a bunch of other stuff.

Comment

I'm making a clone of a Phase90, have just been a little too busy working to get any further with it, but I normally uses our own Two Faze, two in one phaser, simple like a mxr, this baby is silent, plus there are trimmers on the inside, so you can adjust the wave for more swooshing.
                    But phasers are quite different, the 90 sounds great for that old VH sound, just put it on the slowest setting, and the sound is just there with some British amplification.

Comment

Working...
                    X