banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proper string gauges for tuning down to A?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper string gauges for tuning down to A?

Hi all. I have the Ibanez AX7221 7 string that I bought merely for quick scratch writing and recording. I put a nice JB in there and it's sounding good. Anyhow, I recently put on really heavy strings. I bought a pack of Dean Markley DT's (13-56) for strings 1-6 and I bought a seperate .70 for the low string. I did this cause I'm downtuning to A. I'm just asking here if you guys think that string gauge might be a little to agressive on such a thin bodied guitar. So far it feels fine though the action has gotten higher even though I lowered the saddles. I initially tried going down to A when I had 11-58's (7 string set of Ernie Ball) but it was too loose. Now it feels a bit tight but I generally don't mind tight strings. I also strung my 5 string ESP LTD bass (model F-205) with some really heavy D'Addario's (50-135). The 135 string is so thick it barely fit into the nut. Again, does this string gauge downtuned to A pose any threat to the neck from tension? The other problem now is being these guitars are not baritone scale I'm finding I can't perfectly intonate the lower strings since the saddles won't move back any further. Man, sure is a pain tuning down to A. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Revolver.
Working...
X