banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone prefer the Dean HardTail to the Custom 22?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone prefer the Dean HardTail to the Custom 22?

anyone out there have familiarity with PRS guitars as well as the Dean HT? I want one or the other in the future, but keep coming back to that comfortable PRS bridge design and great Dragon II pickups.

Any thoughts? Opinions?

Rich

I've played both and preffer the Custom 22. It's body weight and design is just more comfortable to me. Besides, I don't think you can get a HardTail with a trem.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

PRS vs. Dean

I may get flamed for saying this, but I think that PRS guitars are some of the most over priced and over-rated guitars period. Of the two I thought the Dean both played and sounded better, not to mention that you get much more guitar for your $$$.
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

In what way do you get more guitar for your money? Please clarify.
        Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

I just cant get past the....
          Low wattage rocks!
          Bumbox Lead 1
          Orange Tiny Terror
          Vox 120VTH
          ----------------------
          Gibson LP Standard - SG Supreme
          Agile LP-2500 - Jackson JSX-94

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26
            In what way do you get more guitar for your money? Please clarify.
            The finishes on Hardtails are to die for and they can be found for around 1400. PRS' CU22 isn't all that cheap and for a 10 top that goes head to head with the Hardtail, you're going to have to pay around 1800 or more depending on appointments.
            Originally posted by kevlar3000
            I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
            Originally posted by Zerberus
            Better is often the enemy of good
            Originally posted by ginormous
            Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26
              I've played both and preffer the Custom 22. It's body weight and design is just more comfortable to me. Besides, I don't think you can get a HardTail with a trem.
              I am feeling the same way.....in fact I find the Custom 22 and McCarty to be two of the best sounding and most comfy guitars around. I like those Dragon II pickups so much, I may be getting a set for my LP.

I need to get out and play a HardTail. Where can they be found for $1400?

Comment

Speaking of appointments, you also get natural binding, tone pro's bridge, grover tuners, ebony board and Seymour Duncan's as standard appointments....in addition to the 10 top on every guitar I've ever seen or played. Not to mention custom abalone inlays with abalone/sterling sliver at the 12th fret.

The attention to detail on these guitars is excellent...I had to search mine for weeks to find a flaw, and it may very well have happened in the guitar store. I like my Hardtail for the money vs any PRS for the same money. I still truly like the McCarty and Custom 22, and want to own one or the other someday. The Hardtail is unique and in my opinion a beautiful guitar. The top bout is larger, but not out of proportion...similar to the bout sizes on a strat.
                My Sound Clips

Comment

Originally posted by JfromHouston
                  I just cant get past the....
                  Is it really so unbalanced looking? I guess I just don't see it. I kind of think the bouts on the PRS's are a little too stubby. I like a little size difference.

Originally posted by papersoul

I need to get out and play a HardTail. Where can they be found for $1400?
                  Most of the time you can get them on eBay for $1400. I've also found a few places on the net selling certain less popular finishes at $1400-$1500(cherry sunburst or faded denim). Right now on eBay people seem to be asking a little more than what I am willing to pay. But that's good for those of us that already own them. The quilt tops seem to fetch a little more, but I wouldn't pay more than about $1700 for a used quilt top in new condition.
                  Last edited by Jeff_H; 03-24-2004, 01:31 PM.
                  My Sound Clips

Comment

Hardtail all the way! See Jeff H's post on appointments for reference
                    :afro:

Comment

i would just be worried about resale value a few years down the road for the hardtail.... they are nice looking guitars but i too cant decide it i like the top horn
                      '05 Gibson SG Standard
                      '07 Gibson Sg Standard Emg 81/85
                      PRS IRW McCarty
                      '92 Fender MIA Telecaster
                      82 Usa Epiphone Spirit w/ Dirtyfingers

Comment

I think the top horn looks great, and the guitar is stunning. Personally I'd be intoa black or see thru black HT....and hopefully of ebay. Resale is important because you nebver kknow when you may have to sell or may change tastes and want something different. that is why I made sure my LP was a great playing and sounding LP, plus I chose a nice flame top because ya never know.

That being said.....I still think next time I'd go cheaper with the finish because it's not a big deal to me other than resale value.

Most important is playability and comfort. I love the way the Custom 22 sits against my body and you can't even tell the bridge is there because that hardtail design on the CU22 is so nice and smooth....love it.

I do know a guy on the LPF sold his PRS guitars to buy two HardTails.

Comment

Jeff,

I have to admit I have never seen one in person. Maybe its just the pictures. But I say that the tops look stunning and every review I have ever read say they are just as killer to play as they are to look at. The finishes they are coming up with are a really nice change to the usual colors too.

Jason
                          Low wattage rocks!
                          Bumbox Lead 1
                          Orange Tiny Terror
                          Vox 120VTH
                          ----------------------
                          Gibson LP Standard - SG Supreme
                          Agile LP-2500 - Jackson JSX-94

Comment

I too believe PRS guitars are overated. I own three Hardail's, and love them. Jeff H's post on the Hardtail is dead on correct.

Sprinter
                            Collings: '08 001-mhsb
                            Dean: '02 Hardtail
                            Fender: '63 Jazzmaster, '74 Telecaster & '11 American Special Telecaster
                            Fender Custom Shop: '16 1962 Custom Telecaster
                            Gibson: '78 Les Paul Deluxe & '99 Les Paul Standard
                            G&L: '87 Asat, '02 Asat Classic
                            Guild: '81 X-79 Skyhawk
                            Heritage: '09 H535 25th Anniversary
                            PRS: '97 Standard 24 & '99 McCarty

Comment

Working...
                            X