banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you play a bass thru a guitar amp???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you play a bass thru a guitar amp???

I would like to buy a bass and start learning to play that along with the guitar. Right now I have a 65w Fender cyber deluxe. If I only plan on keeping at bedroom / practice volumes, can I use that untill I can afford an actual bass amp?

Re: Can you play a bass thru a guitar amp???

At real low volumes, yes. I do it with my Marshall on occasion when I'm too lazy to get my bass amp out. But I wouldn't put the volume past about 1. Guitar speakers don't like bass frequencies.

Comment

If played really low, you may get away with it, but it is most definitely not recommended. Just get a cheap practice amp.
      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

You should be alright at mid to low volumes - just don't start pushing the tone controls too high, particularly the bass. As the amp is s/s it you might be suprised what a nice tone you get out of it.
        Normans Guitars

Comment

I ditto everything said here, guitar speakers won't hold up very well to that kind of punishment for long. You're far better off to get a relatively inexpensive bass practice amp (like a Behringer or Yorkville). It'll save you a lot of headaches.
          Hoo Hooooo Hooo Hoooooooo

http://talktobears.hearnow.com

Sent from an old crank telephone in rural GA

Comment

ike the others said, keep it low witht he bass down and youll probabyl be ok. the electronics will probably hold up to a little loud playing but the speaker might not.

Comment

back when i had my '73 superlead, i played it through my mesa boogie desiel 4x10, and it sounded pretty damn good, very organic... kinda sounded like a cross between an old SVT and a GK. wouldn't try it with a guitar cab though.
              Teenagers can't sing the Blues. They ain't fixin' to die yet. Adults sing the Blues. In Blues, "adulthood" means being old enough to get the electric chair if you shoot a man in Memphis.

Comment

right now im running my bass thru a fender ultra chorus guitar amp. it sound ok but the thing is when i crank it up to like 4 and a half(bout the right volume for full band practice) it buzzes a little and the amp itself sounds really rickedy. i think its because of all the bass making it vibrate and its on wheels so i dunno. ill be getting my ampeg soon its just a matter of getting my dad to put it on his credit card after he cashes my 1000 bucks
                The early bird catches the worm and the twelve-year-old prostitute attracts the ambassador.

Comment

if you need a cheap setup, i'd reccomend a behringer bx1200, 120 watts for like $250

and if you get an ibanez phat hed bass OD pedal, and set it on distortion, with the drive on about 1/4, it sounds really tubish. Of course you can still hear a little drive in it, but oh well
                  Originally posted by gibson175
                  metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

I've done this a couple times with my peavey studio pro. If you keep the volume low you should not have a problem.
                    -Tom

Epiphone G400 w/Duncan Custom
                    Vox VT15
                    Washburn D10SCE
                    Getsch Electromatic Junior Jet Bass

Comment

Working...
                    X