Great Preamp Tube Combo! JJ/Sovtek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Preamp Tube Combo! JJ/Sovtek

I put some new tubes into my JCM900, two JJ 12AX7's and a Groove Tubes 12AX7R, AWSOME! My tone no longer have peircing treble, but rather a smooth, full range with load'o'crunch. ROCK!

I forgot to ask: What affect do power tubes have on tone, and what would you suggest I use in my JCM900?
    You can get a suprisingly good country guitar tone out of a Marshall Halfstack.

Re: Great Preamp Tube Combo! JJ/Sovtek

Svetlana el34's.........
    '06 Gibson R8, '94 Gibson LP Jr Special, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Fender Hotrod '52 Tele, /13 FTR37, Kemper, DrZ EMS, DrZ Plus, Various pedals

Comment

Svets EL34 .... JJ E34L for more headroom/deeper bass.
      And remove that Sovtek pls...
      Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Comment

what's wrong with the sovtek?

Comment

What's wrong with Sovtek ?? It's a Sovtek !
          Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Comment

yeah... I'm new to this whole tube game... what's wrong with the sovtek?

Comment

What's a JCM900 sound like? Isn't it one Marshall's super-high-gain amps?
              Watch My Videos
              Photography
              www.myspace.com/thebillyhong
              "Anything worth living for is worth suffering for."

Comment

Originally posted by Biu
                What's a JCM900 sound like? Isn't it one Marshall's super-high-gain amps?
                IMO the best sounding distorted marshall... it's cleans leave ALOT to be desired.

Comment

Oh ok.. well a bit of history :

Sovtek is a large tube manufacturer from Russia. They manufacture good, strong tubes, but with poor audio quality. They're also cheap, that's why many manufacturers (Fender, Marshall, Peavey...) use them in their amps.

So, you have a quite reliable tube, but with poor audio quality.

The only nice tube Sovtek ever done was the 12AX7LPS.
                  Now Sovtek manufactures some nice tubes under the ElectroHarmonix brand-name. EH tubes are finely made, with better components, thus a tad pricier.

Comment

The power tubes will play a huge role in terms of tone, only if you use your amp cranked enough.

Comment

Working...
                    X