banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which fingerboard neck type best for EMG 81?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which fingerboard neck type best for EMG 81?

Thinking about a new LP with EMG 81b/85n and was wondering what is best neck to compliment these pups?
    I like both maple fingerboards and ebony so any favor one over the other with EMGs?
    57 VOS Les Paul Goldtop
    62 Thin Skin Stratocaster
    Mesa Boogie Lone Star 212
    Baby Taylor
    sigpic

Re: Which fingerboard neck type best for EMG 81?

I prefer one that comes complete with frets.

Don't you think you're being a little picky? Forget about your pickups and just pick whatever one you like best. You're the one who has to play it....
    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Not being picky about it, I don`t know jack about EMG and thier tone. I want the full blown metal sound and EMG will deliver but I was wondering if the maple is to bright with the EMG.
      57 VOS Les Paul Goldtop
      Baby Taylor
      sigpic

Comment

From http://www.jemsite.com/axes/htm_features/wood.htm

Fretboard Woods:
        Perhaps more significant than neck wood, the fretboard is the place your string launches from. It is the “bridge” on the other side. Fretboard differences are as dramatic as those between a hardtail and a tremolo.

Maple:
        Very bright and dense, Maple is highly reflective. When used on a fretboard, Maple encourages tremendous amounts of higher overtones and its tight, almost filtered away bass favors harmonics and variations in pick attack.

Ebony:
        Ebony has a snappy, crisp attack with the density of Maple, but with more brittle grains, oilier pores, and a stronger fundamental tone than Maple. It has a tremendous amount of percussive overtones in the pick attack, that mute out shortly thereafter to foster great, long, sustain.
        Originally posted by Kanye West
        Welcome to the real world. Everybody wanna booooo me but I'm a fan of real pop culture!!! No disrespect but we watchin' the show at the crib right now cause...well you know...I'm not crazy y'all, I'm just real.

Comment

That being said, I'd go for the ebony - it's a little darker... in more ways than one ;P
          Originally posted by Kanye West
          Welcome to the real world. Everybody wanna booooo me but I'm a fan of real pop culture!!! No disrespect but we watchin' the show at the crib right now cause...well you know...I'm not crazy y'all, I'm just real.

Comment

EMGs colour the tone a hell of a lot, i don't think i would be able to tell the difference in fingerboard woods..

IMO, EMGs make an $80 guitar sound like a $600 guitar, in terms of tone (depending on which ones you take) - problem is, they'll also make a $1400 guitar sound like a $600 one

Comment

Originally posted by Rainmaker
              From http://www.jemsite.com/axes/htm_features/wood.htm

Fretboard Woods:
              Perhaps more significant than neck wood, the fretboard is the place your string launches from. It is the “bridge” on the other side. Fretboard differences are as dramatic as those between a hardtail and a tremolo.

Maple:
              Very bright and dense, Maple is highly reflective. When used on a fretboard, Maple encourages tremendous amounts of higher overtones and its tight, almost filtered away bass favors harmonics and variations in pick attack.

Ebony:
              Ebony has a snappy, crisp attack with the density of Maple, but with more brittle grains, oilier pores, and a stronger fundamental tone than Maple. It has a tremendous amount of percussive overtones in the pick attack, that mute out shortly thereafter to foster great, long, sustain.
              Very helpfull, thanks.
              57 VOS Les Paul Goldtop
              Baby Taylor
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Imp
                EMGs colour the tone a hell of a lot, i don't think i would be able to tell the difference in fingerboard woods..

IMO, EMGs make an $80 guitar sound like a $600 guitar, in terms of tone (depending on which ones you take) - problem is, they'll also make a $1400 guitar sound like a $600 one
                So EMG are not clear as they claim? When you say color the tone, in what way?
                57 VOS Les Paul Goldtop
                Baby Taylor
                sigpic

Comment

If you like EMG player's tone, like Zakk, then you will enjoy it. I'm not a fan of active pups ...

For fingerboard, I always go for maple, when I can.
                  Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                  My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I hear ya on the maple, I just loved the neck on the wolfgang.
                    57 VOS Les Paul Goldtop
                    Baby Taylor
                    sigpic

Comment

Ditto
                      Marshall JVM 410C
                      Mesa Boogie DC-3
                      ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
                      1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
                      2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
                      2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
                      1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
                      2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
                      1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

someone corrrect me if im wrong but Zakk uses the 81 with a maple necked ebony boarded lp into a marshall which is already a bright sounding amp anyway
                        My clips

Originally posted by Rid
                        How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

... & Zakk's tone is very bright!!
                          Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

lol i didnt mean to say it wasn't

just using it as a guidline
                            My clips

Originally posted by Rid
                            How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

Originally posted by Imp

I'm surprised no one else mentioned it, but Imp.

Listen to this man ^^^^^

EMGs are active and that means it colors your tone A LOT. Trust me, I owned the Zakk Wylde set (the 81/85s). I also owned the EMG-DG20 Dave Gilmour system in my old strat.

No matter what you choose, it will sound like EMG. It's really hot, doesn't get great cleans (unless you look at another model) and it is very articulate and works IMHO probably the best out of any pickup I've ever tried with distortion.

With that said, you'll probably want something that feels great and will help you play fast. Ebony fretboards help with this. As far as the neck wood, what feels good to you? I found maple can work at going pretty fast.

Crappy guitars sound great with EMGs because they cover up their lack of tone.
                              Originally posted by kevlar3000
                              I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                              Originally posted by Zerberus
                              Better is often the enemy of good
                              Originally posted by ginormous
                              Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Working...
                              X