Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: heavy sound on a budget

Originally posted by MrHeavyMetal
    dude, that's a low blow. I've been playing 25 years and I think I have enough experience to give advice. Crap ? I think not.
    First off, dont take it seriously MHMM. These new guys dont remember you from old forum where you were one of the best contributing members around... we miss you here, you should post more, but i understand. I rarely have the time to post anymore too. I do agree that you can get heavy with a 212, but a 112 simply wont do it. If you want really heavy, a 412 is what you need. However, i dont think that the kid could afford a 412 tube stack so id suggest a 212 tube combo for a budget. I prefer the sound from my 212 actually. Its heavy, but not too heavy which is just right for my sound.
    As for the poplar, Poplar is a very good sounding wood. Its main disadvantage and problem is that it is much heavier than alder and thus dampens the low frequencies slightly. Its tone is very similar to alder though. For a better description, www.warmoth.com has it nder its wood selection. I know for a fact that great tone can be gotten out of a poplar guitar and a nice heavy sound is not any harder to come by with a poplar guitar, than an alder guitar. Aside from weight and aesthetics(poplar is often green streaky and all together ugly) poplar is a great tone wood.
    Gypsy, give me your tears. If you will not give them to me, I will take them from you.

Comment

if you think what I've said is BS, then you have obviously never stood in front of a 4X12 with Vintage 30's and 100-watt 59 Plexi cranked. I own both.
      Now you're just showing off.

Plus, can't you speak in words instead of posting a "BS" flag.
      You want words? Okay:

"Irregardless" isn't a word. I believe the word you were searching for is "regardless."

Comment

Uh, this is getting way off topic.

The Question is: Can you get a heavy sound on the cheap?
        The Answer is: Yes, but probably not a great one. But that was never a criteria.

Your Q is too open-ended. Your friend needs to play whatever is in his price range and go with the one that plays and sounds the best.

Talking about what wood gives you the heaviest sound is just silly.
        Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
        My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

thank you twilight

my friend isn't picky enough, he's an awesome guitarist, but he knows nothing about guitar tech, at all

i'm thinking the ibanez with p-90's. Anyone care to second this?
          Originally posted by gibson175
          metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

I would like to humbly suggest an SG of some sort, maybe an Epi or even a used Gibby SG special? I think that the SG is a great design for heavier-type punk sounds. It's light, resonant, and has a full-sized bridge humbucker. And at the risk of being unpopular, on my special I never even thought to change the stock pickups! I thought that my SG special was just fine stock, and was giving me the right output and tone for heavy sounds.
            "After I die I shall return to earth as the doorkeeper of a bordello and I won't let a one of you in." -Arturo Toscanini

Comment

haha sorry dude but being as i'm not a huge gibson fan, i can't, in right mind, suggest someone else get one
              Originally posted by gibson175
              metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

Originally posted by drew_half_empty
                haha sorry dude but being as i'm not a huge gibson fan, i can't, in right mind, suggest someone else get one
                No worries, whatever floats your boat is fine by me. I guess something with a strong bridge humbucker would be better for heavy sounds.
                Last edited by TwofacePimp; 07-23-2004, 04:47 AM.
                "After I die I shall return to earth as the doorkeeper of a bordello and I won't let a one of you in." -Arturo Toscanini

Comment

NOT P90s if you want a heavy sound!!

Gotta go with a full sized humbucker.
                  Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                  My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I think you can get a heavy sound out of P90s.... it depends on how you define heavy though. Gotta use thick strings.

Comment

yall gotta stop bickering

a 4x12 is gonna be heavier than almost any thing else, except maybe that 2x15 with a 4x12.
                      for a tight thick bottom end, you need a closed back cab. the more speakers the more air youll push, the heavier itll sound.
                      tube amps sound meatier than ss one. doesnt mean you cant get a heavy sound from a ss 1x12 open back combo, but it wont sound like a tube half stack
                      for the guitar a gax70 isnt a bad choice for $200 but it isnt mahogany, its agathis.
                      the pups are crap though so get a new set quick

Comment

dude, that's a low blow. I've been playing 25 years and I think I have enough experience to give advice. Crap ? I think not.
                        giving advice like he better have a 4x12 cab is not giving you much credibility.. didnt you read he's got extreme low budget?
                        and you DONT need a huge amp to sound heavy. yes, i know it's a totaly diferent thing sound and punch vise, but you dont NEED it

what i understand under extremely low is not even a tube amp. a SS amp with one speaker. a 2x12 tube amp is a luxury
                        the sound wont be big, but it will be heavy.

also, i give a +1 to the yamaha pacifica 112.

Comment

if your on a budget get a samick for a guitar and buy a DOD FX-76 Punkifier stomp you will be set
                          http://www.soundclick.com/bands/0/mybrokensoulmusic.htm

4yrs of college + 1 B.A. + 40,000 in student loans = 64k per yr job I hate, help me please

Peavey XXX
                          Schecter 006 Elite
                          SD Invader
                          Pro tools

Comment

Get a Sovtek Mig 50H master-volume.

Comment

Yeah, here's my suggestion: an Epi Special SG with a change of pickups, probably an Inavder or Seymour Super Distortion. Those two push the chunk-factor and really get a heavy sound.
                              Otherwise, I second the Pacifica 112. I've experienced both guitars. The Epiphone is more a punk's guitar and the yamaha's more a metalist's. Oh, man... the action on that yamaha was amazing... drool. Now, my friend's upgraded to a Jagstang... yawn.

as to the "not getting heavy without a 4x12" debate:
                              I used to get hella heavy with my bass rig running my DS-1 and a guitar through it. Also, I used to get pretty heavy with my 15-watt squier bass amp and DS-1, at least, until way to much giging and practicing with that little amp ended that speaker's career.
                              You can get a suprisingly good country guitar tone out of a Marshall Halfstack.

Comment

Working...
                              X