banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what guitars do you get along/don't get along well with??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• texasguitarslinger
    replied
    Re: what guitars do you get along/don't get along well with??

I get along with Les Pauls because they have awesome necks with nice wide fretboards. You can't beat the tone and they just ooze rock n roll! I like SGs too. They are just so player friendly everyone should have one or two.

I don't get along with telecasters, Vs, explorers or any "shred" guitars. Teles have a twangy sound that doesn't suit me, odd shaped guitars feel awkward so that I spend more time worrying about keeping the guitar in a playable position more than what I'm playing. No bueno por caca.

Leave a comment:

• Gearjoneser
    replied

I like almost all guitars, for what they offer.....provided they're high quality.

What I don't like?
    Ibanez shredder axes. Even the expensive JEM Vai guitars seem like cheapos to me.
    Music Man guitars. The bridge is too close to the end, and it feels small in my hands.
    Parker Flys. No comment.
    Line 6 Variax. Toys R Us.
    Hollowbodies with a floating bridge. Who designed that crap? Intonation hell.
    Gretsch's, since my finger picking style pulls the strings out of their saddle slots.
    All Les Pauls and Strats from the 70's. Hate'em all. Flat fretted pauls, skinny necks
    BC Rich's, since I'm not 14 anymore.
    Carvins, since I don't want a guitar to suck the mojo out of my fingers. Ha Ha
    Peavey guitars. For the same reason.
    SG's. I want to like them, but they hang weird, and I don't want to have people say
    "hey look, Angus and Jack Black's guitar!"

Leave a comment:

• RGN
    replied

I picked up a PRS the other day and it felt like the neck was a baseball bat sawed in half- not my deal at all. I can honestly say I have zero desire to own one.

I grew up playing a Les Paul but can't play'em now. When I pick one up they feel so unbalanced. The neck tries to jump upward and they feel so bottom heavy.

Basically, I can only play super strat guitars with a wide, flat, fretboard and a semi-thin neck (Jems, ESP M-IIs, some vintage Charvels, etc...). I prefer the old Charvel body with rounded, soft edges versus the Ibanez-type strat body.

I absolutely CAN'T play a guitar with a raised middle pickup. I hit it with the pick and it is a disaster. On my Jem I have it lowered flush with the pickguard so it stays out of my way.

My worst nightmare would be an Ace Frehley Les Paul with three humbuckers... I couldn't play it no matter how great and cool it was....

Leave a comment:

• Grandor
    replied

Don't get along with - PRS, BC Rich and Ibanez.

Do get along with - LP's, Musicman type shred axes (wolfgangs, Lukes), Strats, and some LTD's (EC-1000 Viper).

Leave a comment:

• TwilightOdyssey
    replied

Don't get along with Les Pauls!! When sitting, the body shape digs into my leg, and when standing, it's like a lead weight, and very uncomfortable against my body.

Leave a comment:

• That90'sGuy
    replied

I have big hands and for the life of me, I couldn't play those Music Man guitars. I just couldn't solo on them. Everybody raves about how wonderful they are, but I tried to do chords and the neck was so thin width wise that my hands cramped. It was the most horrifying experience ever

I also hated those Schecter necks. Tried to like them, but they felt cheap to me and I couldn't do anything I wanted on them. Some necks just feel "right", this didn't do it for me.

Strat necks. All of them worked. Some were better than others.

Teles. For the most part, I LOVE them. They're big and fat and I can play all day on them without breaking a sweat. Nothing like playing on a thick piece of raw maple.

Ibanez. Liked them. I played the Paul Gilbert model a few months ago and while it felt a little cheap, I could shred no problem. It was thin, but comfortable for both lead and rhythm.

Gibson. What can I say, my hands were MADE for these necks. I got good at playing Les Pauls rather quickly. Even though the finish would try and slow me down, I quickly learned how to overcome that.

Parker. HEAVEN. This is my favorite. The Deluxe Fly was incredible. Thin and easy access all the way up the neck. If I could have only one guitar, it would be a Parker with my custom specs and pickups. Wide and thin is the way to go for big hands, trust me on that. Did I mention the neck was heaven?

I really like Deans too. My Chafin is inbetween a Strat and a Les Paul and playing quickly isn't a problem. Feels quality, looks quality so it's gotta be quality.

PRS is alright. It never really did anything special for me, but I could handle playing on it. I like the fact that they have wide/thin necks and the wide/fat weren't too shabby either.

Leave a comment:

• DeadSkinSlayer3
    Guest replied

Get along with: Schecter's, XJ or Jumbo frets, mohogany, Explorer's and ESP EX's, Soloists, Old USA BC Rich's, 22+ frets, LTD's.

Don't get along with: Pauls sitting down, unless my left leg is raised above the right one, small frets, Fender's, Floyd's, Dimarzio's, single coil's, 21 frets, PRS's, Ibanez's.

Leave a comment:

• Pandemonium
    replied

I get along with LPs, LP takeoffs and 335s. I don't really get along well with anything with single coils or anything acoustic.

Leave a comment:

• MikeS
    replied

Originally posted by Zerberus
    Anything that was made decently. Although I´ve never found a PRS that just screamed "Future wife" to me like my jacksons and Gibsons do
    haha!

I agree, no PRS has ever spoke to me.

Anyway, I get along with:

medium - medium jumbo frets, 59 lp rounded profile necks, LP studios (classic shape, without all the fancy frills), transparent finishes (gotta see the wood grain!)

I don't get along with:

tiny frets, floyds, scalloped necks, floyds, floating bridges, floyds, necks that aren't adjustable at the peghead, and basically any guitar that I can't feel comfortable playing, BC Rich body shapes

Leave a comment:

• Zerberus
    replied

Anything that was made decently. Although I´ve never found a PRS that just screamed "Future wife" to me like my jacksons and Gibsons do

Leave a comment:

• Biu
    replied

I like Fenders and most all of their hot-rodded counterparts like Ibanez.

I like the feel of Les Pauls, but not the necks. In terms of Gibsons, I'm much more fond of their Explorers, V's, and slim necked LPs.

Leave a comment:

• Guitarist
    replied

GETS ALONG WITH: Les Paul 50's neck, Les Paul Standards/Customs, Gibson Flying V '67, Epiphone Les Paul Standards w/ proper Duncans, Jackson RR1, Jackson Soloists, Martin Acoustics, Takamine Acoustics

DOESN'T GET ALONG WITH: Les Paul 60's neck, Les Paul Specials, Epiphone Gothic Flying V, Fender Stratocasters/Telecasters (humbuckers are pretty much essential for my distorted tone), Gibson SG Supremes

Leave a comment:

• yes-fan
    replied

i could never get along with any ibanez guitars.they sound and feal so cheap. some of the prestiges are alright but other than that .....no. i never liked the paint on the les paul necks. its way to sticky. i never liked telecasters because of there pickups and strats because of the pickups also.

i get along very well with gibson hollowbodys. preferably my es-135. i also like hardtail strats with humbuckers and gibson explorers and Vs. I also like gibson EDS-1275s, those are real nice.

Leave a comment:

• nuntius
    replied

Originally posted by Pepi
    I still love that fat sound I can get with the lester.
    my guitar teacher has a tele gib, mahogany (1 piece) body with a flamed maple top, huge maple neck (i mean huge, makes the jeff beck strats or EVH wolfies seem like wizard necks)

it sounds thicker than any lester i've ever played

Leave a comment:

• The Owl
    replied

The Owl gets along with: SG's (love the upper-fret access, sound and the way the body feels against mine) , ES-335 type axes in general (love that midrange honk!), the occasional Strat (love those shimmery chimey harmonics), nylon string acoustic

Cannot stand: Telecasters (way too twangy and feel weird and clunky to me), ANY 1980's hair-metal axe like BC Rich, Jackson-Charvel, Washburn etc., I like the soundof Les Paul's but physically have a devil of a time with them between the weight and they just feel awkward to me in general.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X