Flying (airplane) with my guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flying (airplane) with my guitar

So I'm going to Florida next week to get out of Boston during the Democratic Convention (going to be a zoo here). I plan on bringing my Les Paul with me but I'm terrified of checking it and letting it out of my site. If I put her in a gig bag, will Delta allow me to carry it on? Has anyone successfully done this (post 9/11)???

If I did check it I was planning on leaving it in the hard case and adding extra padding inside. Then putting the hard case in a cardboard box with more padding. But I think all airlines inspect ALL baggage and I just don't trust them at re-securing the guitar with the same care as me.

Any advice? Baggage insurance??
    1978 Lefty Gibson Les Paul Custom (C5 bridge, Jazz neck) with Jimmy Page wiring
    1996 Lefty Fender Jazzmaster (w/ SD Antiquity IIs)
    2003 Lefty Taylor 414RCE (Rosewood Limited Edition with Expression System)
    Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier 3-channel through Marshall 1960A cabinet via THD HotPlate
    Effects: Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah, Fulltone DejaVibe, Maxon Rotary Phaser (PH-350), Boss DD6, Boss RC20 LoopStation, BBE Sonic Stomp

Re: Flying (airplane) with my guitar

i take my gordon smith on holiday every year.

i put it in a hiscox case, and take it on with me, and put it in an overhead locker. I never have trouble that way.

i'd never let the airline people handle it, especially if i didnt have a decent hard case. i wouldnt want to be held resposible for my actions when i open up the gig bag to find some unconsiderate person has literally thrown it on the plane and has snapped off my headstock...
    My clips

Originally posted by Rid
    How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

Did the airlines ever give you trouble for carrying your guitar on the plane? Did you have to get prior authorization from the airline? The last thing I want is to show up with my Paul in a soft case and have them refuse to allow me to carry it on. Then I'd have to check it in the soft case!!!!!
      1978 Lefty Gibson Les Paul Custom (C5 bridge, Jazz neck) with Jimmy Page wiring
      1996 Lefty Fender Jazzmaster (w/ SD Antiquity IIs)
      2003 Lefty Taylor 414RCE (Rosewood Limited Edition with Expression System)
      Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier 3-channel through Marshall 1960A cabinet via THD HotPlate
      Effects: Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah, Fulltone DejaVibe, Maxon Rotary Phaser (PH-350), Boss DD6, Boss RC20 LoopStation, BBE Sonic Stomp

Comment

Personally, I'd leave it at home, or at least take a less expensive guitar. I don't trust airline baggage handlers, and they may not let you carry it on the plane. Packing the case in a cardboard box with padding will likely make it too big to fit in an overhead bin, in which case your options are:

1. turn around and go home
        2. check it with your luggage and hope that the airline baggage handlers/screeners don't throw it around too much.

You may be okay if you just packed it in its case and carried it on the plane, but there's no guarantee. If it doesn't meet the maximum carry on dimensions, or if it's too big to fit in an overhead bin, you'll have to check it. If you're only going to be gone for a few days, I wouldn't bother bringing a guitar with you.

Ryan
        Originally posted by JOLLY
        I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

take it in a hard case, and take it on the plane with you. the extra cash for the hard case is worth it because you know its gonna still be in one piece at the other end of the journey.

theres no need for a cardboard box
          My clips

Originally posted by Rid
          How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

Originally posted by nuntius
            take it in a hard case, and take it on the plane with you. the extra cash for the hard case is worth it because you know its gonna still be in one piece at the other end of the journey.

theres no need for a cardboard box
            Yeah. I wouldn't go anywhere with a guitar in a softcase. That's a horror story waiting to happen.
            GMP Pawnshop Deluxe - Custom Custom Bridge, 59n

Parker Fly, Ruby Red, 1996 H/H/P

Parker Nitefly SSH

THD Univalve with Avatar Cab

Bad Cat Mini Cat

Vox Valvetronix AD-60 1x12

"Thanks for comin out and...
            KEEPIN THE SCENE ALIVE"

Comment

Here is a Link I posted yesterday for a very similar question. Anybody that is planning to check a guitar should read this!!!!

Acoustic Guitar serves players, beginning and experienced, with instruction, information, inspiration, advice, and a voice in the acoustic guitar community.
              "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
              "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Working...
              X