Which neck joint do you prefer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Which neck joint do you prefer?

Bolt on, 'cause you can swap necks, although i saw this through-neck soloist the other day, looks like nice top fret access...

ok, never mind, but it looked slick...
    Last edited by rinse_master; 07-22-2004, 05:36 PM. Reason: No attachment
    "What frequency are you getting? Is it noise or sweet, sweet music?"

Comment

Originally posted by Robert S.
      It makes no difference to me as long as the union is solid. Bolt on necks that have a tendency to move around drives me nuts.
      You should see my 76 strat. It has a yellow dunlop tortex shoved in the bootom side of the neck pocket to keep it from shifting. I know a previous owner, and he said 'don't remove the pick, that's the tone'...

I like bolt ons and set necks depending on the guitar.

I don't get along with most neck thrus, because most of them are maple, and that generally adds too much maple brightness and upper mid hardness to the guitar's tone. To top it off, a lot of maple neck thrus have maple tops as well. A certain amount of maple is good for articulation, and I love all-maple fender necks, but too much just makes for midrange nastiness you just can't dial out.

Mahogany neck thrus like firebirds are great, though.
      Originally posted by Jolly
      ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

I like all three. It depends on the guitar and the perpose it's built for.
        || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

set necks have good sustain, and vibration they feel really soild i like the look of them nice and smooth and no harsh edges ad the neck joint.

Bolt ons are real easy to play on but often i pickup a bolt on and it feels kinda cheap or somting i dont like the metal plate on the back of the ones that hold the neck together but thats just me. A good bolt on i think has a real nice neck which is real fast and none of those metal plates on the back i picked up one once and it had the macdaddy sustain.

Never played a neck thru so cant say.
          PRS McCarty (59n, 59b)
          1990 Fender Strat Japan (SSL-1, SSL-1, APS-1)

Orange Dual Terror Head
          Blackstar HT-5
          2 Fender 12" Cabs with Celestion G12H30, Vintage 30
          Vox Pathfiinder 15R

Comment

Working...
          X