banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Warmoth and other custom guitar shops!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warmoth and other custom guitar shops!!!!

I'm seriously considering getting a custom guitar built. I'm 100% sure that I want to get it done. I've got my "vintage" Les Paul and my (soon to be) bluesy Stratocaster so now I need a guitar that'll do what my Strat was supposed to do when I had 3 humbuckers in it - HEAVY $%Q#@$% METAL!

Warmoth seems to be the place to get a guitar built. Seeing as I'm going to take most of the hardware (except bridge, tuners) from the Strat, I figured I'd get a Warmoth body and neck built.

I'm wondering what to get though. I'm thinking a mahogany soloist model with a maple carved top and 24 frets. I have small hands and even have trouble reaching the 22nd fret on my Strat. But I'm concerned that it won't get the job done tonally. I'm planning on putting a JB in the neck and either a SuperD or a Super3 in the bridge and want a real thick, heavy tone from there. Maybe the soloist model isn't the way to go.

Do body shapes have that much of an effect on tone? If so, when seeking a heavy tone, which would be best out of the Warmoth selections? I know body wood has a tremendous effect, but should I expect a heavy tone from the aforementioned soloist idea?

ALSO ---- are there any other custom guitar shops out there (besides USA Custom guitars/Carvin) that can build me a guitar for around $1000-$1200 dollars?

Thanks.

Re: Warmoth and other custom guitar shops!!!!

Originally posted by The Don
    I'm seriously considering getting a custom guitar built. I'm 100% sure that I want to get it done. I've got my "vintage" Les Paul and my (soon to be) bluesy Stratocaster so now I need a guitar that'll do what my Strat was supposed to do when I had 3 humbuckers in it - HEAVY $%Q#@$% METAL!

Warmoth seems to be the place to get a guitar built. Seeing as I'm going to take most of the hardware (except bridge, tuners) from the Strat, I figured I'd get a Warmoth body and neck built.

I'm wondering what to get though. I'm thinking a mahogany soloist model with a maple carved top and 24 frets. I have small hands and even have trouble reaching the 22nd fret on my Strat. But I'm concerned that it won't get the job done tonally. I'm planning on putting a JB in the neck and either a SuperD or a Super3 in the bridge and want a real thick, heavy tone from there. Maybe the soloist model isn't the way to go.

Do body shapes have that much of an effect on tone? If so, when seeking a heavy tone, which would be best out of the Warmoth selections? I know body wood has a tremendous effect, but should I expect a heavy tone from the aforementioned soloist idea?

ALSO ---- are there any other custom guitar shops out there (besides USA Custom guitars/Carvin) that can build me a guitar for around $1000-$1200 dollars?

Thanks.
    We have several custom builders areound here. PM Blueline (Aaron). he does great custom guitar work and he may be able to help you. If im not mistaken his prices are around $1500 but i think his work merits it. There are a few forum members on here who have dealt with or are dealing with him and im sure they will tell all about Aaron.
    Good luck,
    Brian
    Gypsy, give me your tears. If you will not give them to me, I will take them from you.

Comment

Shape itself won't have much to do with the tone. The more wood, generally, the more tone. A good neck joint and a good slab of wood don't hurt either.

Comment

you can also try shamray, a custom shop in moscow, russia that builds fantastic stuff at a fantastic price. www.shamray.net
        the mind is willing, but the flesh is weak...

Comment

thanks... I should also make note of my left-handedness...

Comment

thanks... I should also make note of my left-handedness...
            shamray can built anything you can dream of!

Comment

visit their forum and speak to michael. he can offer you an idea or two. plus he is a nice guy to boot.

Comment

One of my Warmoths.

Comment

Originally posted by TattooedCarrot
                  One of my Warmoths.

:******:spalted maple is the most beautiful top in the world... especialy with a flame
                  Gypsy, give me your tears. If you will not give them to me, I will take them from you.

Comment

Thanks.
                    I've heard incredible things about GMW guitars, especially if you're going for a super strat of some sort. They're a custom shop, but their prices are very reasonable. Here's their price list. Plus, they have all sorts of crazy paint jobs if you're into that kind of thing. I'm almost defintely going to order my next guitar from these guys, I just hope they're not too backlogged.
                    Last edited by TwofacePimp; 07-22-2004, 11:34 PM.
                    "After I die I shall return to earth as the doorkeeper of a bordello and I won't let a one of you in." -Arturo Toscanini

Comment

Warmoth has great neck designs I think. But a Custom Guitar, I have found that it isn't really custom unless you do it your self. Having been there done that I tried to build my own. I took 1"X4" Pine glued them together to make it 12" wide. Then did it again and glued them together. Routed out a pickup slut and built a wooden Bridge. (keeping in mind this was a prototype or learning experience.) A;so had some buddies in Composits make me a body out of Epoxy. Then along with my Fender I played mix it all up for a while. I'd switch pickups and guitars all playing the same Plain setting through my Amp. I founfd a Charvel neck at a Pawn Shop for $20, My original fender neck and 1 I made from Oak Palletes from some store . I heard very very little difference IF ANY! In all these different combonations. I even switche Caoisitors as well and that was the only real difference I noticed. But I must say I might would rather get a Warmoth neck then try to build my own out of scrap Pallets. What a TASK MAN!
                      My conclusions are that alot of Guitar bodies are Maple due to the softness of the wood and how quick they can be shaped. Necks are the same. I have never seen an OAK finger board like mine, or heard of it. I think cause its a hard wood to work with. Not soft like Mohagony or Ebony. And it's really just alot of HYPE. Like a Salesman trying to sell you something making it sound so sweet and why. But its just a line of crap I have found!
                      Not any difference noticed from my different woods, and I came to the reality that it doesn't change a thing. Wiring changes sound more then woods, and with Effects Processors, Why Spend the money for something that a Salesman tells you why its so good, when you can do it your self and Know why!
                      I look at it this way also. I spent $20 on a neck. Got an Old OAK Pallet for free. Kept myself entertained for a month of free time, Had a Friend help me with a Composite Body for free. WOW man I am really Playing Guitar now Huh! Besideds a few burns from a soldering iron and a disagreement with a belt sander, I feel very much more satisifed with my Custom Guitar then if I bought it. And I know it inside and out just like one should.
                      So what do you think? How do you like me now?
                      :dance:
                      :burnout:
                      :smack:
                      :wink:
                      Is there a Fourth of July in Canada?

Comment

Originally posted by TattooedCarrot
                        One of my Warmoths.

That's definitely one of the most beautiful guitars I've ever seen. You've got class
                        Originally posted by kevlar3000
                        I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                        Originally posted by Zerberus
                        Better is often the enemy of good
                        Originally posted by ginormous
                        Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Warmoth makes nice Guitars? I'd never trade mine though!
                          :dance:
                          :burnout:
                          :smack:
                          :wink:
                          Is there a Fourth of July in Canada?

Comment

is that a hipshot bridge?

Comment

Originally posted by UCSDBoy
                              is that a hipshot bridge?
                              Yep

Comment

Working...
                              X