Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It has taken a while, but here's my new guitar :D

I just received her earlier today.

She's a beauty. She looks absolutely phenomenal. She plays well and keeps in tune (even with heavy usage with the Gotoh vintage trem.

My only complaint is with the "chorus" type tone it adds to the upper notes. With the humbucker, and in some blend modes, it isn't really apparent... it just seems to come out in the single coils.

It has something to do with the Gotoh vintage trem. There's a type of metallic type overtone it creates. Anybody have any ideas what to do about it?

I got in new custom wound pickups from Wagner Custom Rewinds which I've heard are amazing. Tomorrow I'll try to install them, see if it changes anything. Lastly, I'm gonna be getting Graph Tech string saver saddles, so that should definitely change that sound.

All in all, it's THE finest playing and looking axe I can say I've had the pleasure of trying out. The best part is that I got it for a great price and it's ALL MINE.

Thanks to the guys who told me to ditch the H-S-H setup. Truly, the H-S-S with blend control does every type of tone you can imagine. With upgraded pickups (they have Dimarzio Virtual Vintage single coils and a PAF Pro bridge), they'll be amazing. I'm also thinking about putting in a Callaham steel block for the trem.

So it's far from being done with, but it's a wonderful guitar to hotrod into my dream guitar. Graph tech acoustic system will be up on the list of upgrades, so hopefully that will sound amazing

So far, the guitar sounds better than the Les Paul I sold. It nails both the bridge and the neck and I can come close to the middle sound. The single coils sound good, but I'm sure the Wagners will really make it kick.

If anyone is looking at an incredible guitar, Don Grosh is DEFINITELY the way to go
    Originally posted by kevlar3000
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Originally posted by Zerberus
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Originally posted by ginormous
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Re: It has taken a while, but here's my new guitar

That looks awesome. I cant wait to get my new G&L you and your guitar quest gave me so much GAS i had to go out and buy myself a new one. Aww hell, im glad I did. I hope your tones a little closer to what you want it to be. Good luck and keep playing, dont want your gear to surpass your abilities.
    Later,
    Brian
    Gypsy, give me your tears. If you will not give them to me, I will take them from you.

Comment

awesome guitar chris
      '05 Gibson SG Standard
      '07 Gibson Sg Standard Emg 81/85
      PRS IRW McCarty
      '92 Fender MIA Telecaster
      82 Usa Epiphone Spirit w/ Dirtyfingers

Comment

Nice guitar Chris....those are finely built guitars. I hope you get years of enjoyment out of it. As the saying goes around here...."new stuff rocks"!
        My Sound Clips

Comment

Great looking guitar!

Also love the look of that mesa amp in the background
          My Soundclick page.

Comment

never heard of them before but it looks sweet, many years of playing to you sir
            http://www.soundclick.com/bands/0/mybrokensoulmusic.htm

4yrs of college + 1 B.A. + 40,000 in student loans = 64k per yr job I hate, help me please

Peavey XXX
            Schecter 006 Elite
            SD Invader
            Pro tools

Comment

Nice...I decided on the LR Baggs piezo system for my Strat project, but I definitely want to hear how the Graphtech system works for you.

Ryan
              Originally posted by JOLLY
              I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

NICE looking guitar. Good to know you found something so sweet for yourself!
                • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
                • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
                • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
                • G&L Tribute Comanche
                • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
                • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
                • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Congrats! Time to ice down the wallet!

Comment

congratulations!!!

grosh guitars are awesome!
                    bt i'll take the ehad behind the guitar!

Comment

Nice guitar man.
                      Hope it plays as well as it looks.
                      My only complaint is with the "chorus" type tone it adds to the upper notes. With the humbucker, and in some blend modes, it isn't really apparent... it just seems to come out in the single coils.
                      How close to the strings are they???
                      They pull quite alot in strings if they are too close, try lower them alittle if so.
                      Niels

Comment

Looks great love to hear it. How about clips before and after?
                        His Grace is Amazing

Comment

that is one nice looking guitar
                          My clips

Originally posted by Rid
                          How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

SCHAAAAWEEEEEEEETTT!!!!
                            Originally posted by jeremy
                            God hates bad guitar tone
                            GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
                            AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
                            EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
                            Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys

I wasn't sure if I'd like the "lavender" finish on it. I knew the flame was killer (it's jaw dropping in the light). The color is actually really growing on me and I like it more than the tiger eye and blue finishes I've seen before. It's got mojo like you wouldn't believe

I really haven't played anything better than this. I was surprised at how comfortable the neck was. I thought after playing a Fly Deluxe, that would be the end all. I can play quickly all the way up the neck without any problems and it feels great. The vintage-izing feature on the necks has to be played to be believed.

I'm not crazy about the tone that the vintage trem provides, but those Graph Tech saddles should straighten it out. I'm going to try and figure how the wiring was done with the blend controls and everything and try to put new pickups in (I'm not the best at soldering, so I'm thinking twice... may just have to give it another try ).

I have no mic to record sound clips at the moment, but rest assured, I'm looking at an SM57 now I'd love to start sharing clips!

I had been researching my next guitar for over a year. I've played just about every guitar you can imagine. Anyone who is looking for a wide variety of tones and is serious about playing owes it to themselves to atleast play one. So, in short, try a Grosh. Especially if you can snag one for the same price I just did. Unlike the Gibson, I will NEVER sell this guitar. Everything about it screams top notch. The best woods, best fretjob I've ever seen, best feeling neck, it's sleek, a little on the heavy side, vibrates very well (a true test of quality woods and a tight bolt on joint) . It has everything I've basically wanted in a guitar. All it needs is those Wagners, that Graph Tech acoustic system, a Callaham steel block and I don't think the tone could get any better
                              Last edited by That90'sGuy; 07-24-2004, 12:39 PM.
                              Originally posted by kevlar3000
                              I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                              Originally posted by Zerberus
                              Better is often the enemy of good
                              Originally posted by ginormous
                              Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Working...
                              X