Tubes: EL34's vs 6L6's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tubes: EL34's vs 6L6's

What are the differences between EL34's and 6L6's? Does one have more chunk or definition and clarity than the other?
    • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
    • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
    • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
    • G&L Tribute Comanche
    • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
    • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
    • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Re: Tubes: EL34's vs 6L6's

To my ears 6l6 have a glassier caracter, are more "precise" while el34's have a dirtier, rawk sound......I prefer el34s.

Comment

In general, EL34s have more of an upper mid peak than 6L6s (think Plexi vs Bassman). IMHO EL34s yield more "crunch" while 6L6s have more "chug". Personally, I prefer 6L6s for clean and EL34 for dirty.

The earliest Marshalls came with 6L6s (as they were more or less Fender clones) but Marshall didn't take long to switch to EL34s because of difficulties sourcing 6L6s in the UK.

FYI, though some amps (e.g., some Mesas) can run either 6L6s or EL34s, the two tubes are not necessarily interchangeable in an amp. They require different bias voltages and EL34s draw a lot more heater current than 6L6s.
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
      My Music

Comment

el34s have more pop and chunk to them. i like el34s for dirty and 6l6s for clean.
        Down at the edge, close by a river.
        Close to the edge, round by the corner.
        Close to the end, down by the corner.
        Down at the edge, round by the river.

Comment

Working...
        X