Turning a bolt on into a set neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turning a bolt on into a set neck

What elements are required to glue a bolt on neck in a guitar body's neck pocket, turning it into a set neck? are there supports in the neck/body?

Re: Turning a bolt on into a set neck

and i should just use normal wood glue?

Comment

epoxy would work best. or even Bond-O.
      make sure you wipe off all access, you want it nice and smooth.
      :firing: :soapbox: :rocket: :omg:
      Its the way things are, kill the ones w/ the ideas.

Comment

ok, forget epoxy.

Comment

I'm not familiar with tool terms... what's a dowel and do i keep it in the neck/body permanently?

Comment

a dowel is a piece of wood that is almost perfectly round. (nothing can be truly, perfectly rounded) it costs a pretty penny sometimes, because of the "computer technology" used to create such a rounded edge to it.
            you'll probably want to keep them in there to have somet6hing to fiil in those holes where the screws used to be.

Comment

Why?

Just out of curiousity, why do you want to do this?

I don't buy into the line that says that a set neck guitar sustains better than a bolt-on. As for tone, it'll likely sound different but not necessarily "better". Finally, one of the really cool things about a lot of Strat-style guitars is that you can easily replace the neck: unscrew the old one, drill pilot holes in the new one and screw it on. With a set-neck guitar, it's so hard to remove the old neck that a broken neck is the only thing that might make it worth the effort.

IMHO, FWIW, YMMV.
              Originally posted by LesStrat
              make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
              My Music

Comment

But if you really want to do it, I have a question. Why not just put the screws back in after putting the glue on? Seems to me you would get the neck back in the right position for sure, and I do not think leaving the screws in would hurt anything.

A liquid, rather than viscous, epoxy would work really well. Better not to use the five minute stuff; the longer cure stuff is gernerally stronger, and it gives you more time to get things just right. Should let it sit overnight in any case.

Comment

There's more to a set neck than just glue. Set necks have some type of dovetail joint/neck tenon for added stability. Just gluing a bolt on neck to the neck pocket won't give you the same tonal characteristics of a traditional set neck. For this reason, I would advise against doing this.

Ryan
                  Originally posted by JOLLY
                  I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Working...
                  X