Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Modded TS-9 Pedals

Originally posted by mrid
    Well, I know I hear SOMETHING different between the TI and JRC chips! The TI chip seems brighter with (possibly) a slightly scooped midrange, while The JRC seems to have the top end rolled off, with thicker mids.

Yep...Exactly...The TI chip allows a gainier pedal to articulate notes better and it's my preferred chip in my SD1 mods..The JRC chip is darker but beefier..You nailed it MRID!
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

just a question.. those TS-9 pedals are the green ibanez ones right?

i'll try to get one as i'm looking for a more.. less modern compressed tone.. more like an natural overdrive type of thing. like a hot rod amp thingy.. if i get it, i'll get ahold of you john and we'll have a talk out it

Comment

Originally posted by Davey

i'll try to get one as i'm looking for a more.. less modern compressed tone.. more like an natural overdrive type of thing. like a hot rod amp thingy.. if i get it, i'll get ahold of you john and we'll have a talk out it
        The proper name is a Maxon - Ibanez just put their name on it. So look out for the Maxon OD-9 and OD-808 (and yes they are green) do a search on e-bay for both Maxon & Ibanez.
        Normans Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by Davey

Shoot me an IM with all of your Tube Screamer questions anytime..

John
          Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I use both of the Keeley modded pillows. I used the Baked mod as a boost for the Plus mod which intern boosts the signal to the pre amp. Most aplications I don't boost the Plus mod unless I am using my Plexi module. The sound is just unreal when I do. Good luck!
            Egnater M4 (2) Recto, Blackface, Plexi
            VHT 2502
            (2) Randal XLT 4X12
            (2) Jackson SL2H USA Soloist (SH-1n, TB-6b)
            Jackson SL1 (Classic Stack, Classic Stack, TB-6b)
            Keeley TS-9 Mod Plus & TS-9 Baked Mod
            http://www.robertkeeley.com
            Line 6 Echo Pro and Mod Pro
            Chandler Digital Echo Delay

Comment

F,

At the most recent LPF, I played a Keeley TS-9 (with old chip and his mods). It was great. Much, much better than the standard off-the-shelf TS-9.
              Guitars: 2006 Custom Order VOS '59 Reissue w/ MJ 'Duane PAFs'; 2002 '58 Reissue w/ RS Fralin Neck and Timbucker Bridge; 1989 Clapton Strat with Chubtone '63's; 1994 Tom Dodson Custom Strat with 14 year-old Hot Rails, and Classic Stack; 1991 Tele Plus Deluxe w/ Tremelo and Dually Red-Lace Sensors

Duncan Strat Pickups I've Tried: Hot Rails, 5/2's, Classic Stack, Antiquity I's & AII's, PGn and PGb, '59n and '59b, Standard Custom, Sreamin Deamon, various Antiquities & MJ Custom PAFs.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee_M.
                F,

At the most recent LPF, I played a Keeley TS-9 (with old chip and his mods). It was great. Much, much better than the standard off-the-shelf TS-9.
                The chip alone isn't the secret to the tone though...It's the extra tweaks within the circuit to get the TS to have more lows,gain,and less noise..Better caps and 1% metal film resistors...

John

Comment

chiming in again.. just wanting to get something clear

this is the one i should be looking for right? or any other ones too?

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
                    The chip alone isn't the secret to the tone though...It's the extra tweaks within the circuit to get the TS to have more lows,gain,and less noise..Better caps and 1% metal film resistors...

John
                    John,

What do you charge to do these mods? I have an original TS-9 that sounds great and there was almost no audable difference between it and my original TS 808(that I sold a few years ago for a nice profit). I would consider getting a new ts( and having it modded. I am looking for more gain (a lot more), but I like the clarity and tone I get from it. Can you do this? How do you differ from Analoge Man, Keely, etc.

This thread has me gassing

Comment

Originally posted by psychodave
                      John,

What do you charge to do these mods? I have an original TS-9 that sounds great and there was almost no audable difference between it and my original TS 808(that I sold a few years ago for a nice profit). I would consider getting a new ts( and having it modded. I am looking for more gain (a lot more), but I like the clarity and tone I get from it. Can you do this? How do you differ from Analoge Man, Keely, etc.

This thread has me gassing
                      The mods are all about adding more gain and lowend to the series...I can't speak at all about Keeley or Mike's mods because I do my own mods...There are several folks on the forums that have had me do their TS9s and you can post a question on that....The difference between an 808 and a TS9 is the opamp and 2 lower value resistors in the 808's output section..An original TS9 has the JRC4558D "normally" but not always..Later reissue TS9s from 93 on "normally" have a lesser sounding opamp and use the TA57778...Your TS9 gets these mods and then cap and resistor changes for more gain,more lows,and less noise..Guys that I remember I've done TS9s for are Lew and Butnut...Sorry about many people I'm leaving out,as I just can't remember everyone! Please IM me with your questions also..

John

Comment

Working...
                      X