Time For A New Soldering Iron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time For A New Soldering Iron

I need to install a new pickup and rewire a guitar, but I got rid of my soldering iron during my recent move. It'd had it anyhow.

What do you guys recommend? 15 watts, 30 watts? Also, I need to do something to keep the tip clean. My last iron was really old, but I never could keep the tip clean.
    My Sound Clips

Re: Time For A New Soldering Iron

Jeff,
    I have 2 Wellers - one's a 23 watt orange SP23 - the other a blue 35 watt WP35. Those are both fairly affordable. I use the 23 watt iron most of the time, because I found I got better results. The tip on the 35 watt seems to oxidize quicker, but I use it on tougher grounds.
    I just have an old small dish instead of a good stand, and use a piece of damp sponge to clean the tip frequently

A lot of people recommend the nice Weller soldering stations with the stand and variable temperature control.

I got a pound spool of good Kester solder in a small diameter - .40 I think, and that seems to help make neater joints, since it melts easier, and doesn't leave more than enough solder.
    "music heals"
    facebook

Comment

I use a 30 watt Radio Shack iron, and it works well for me. I used to have a 20 watt Weller, but I couldn't find replacement tips for it anywhere...I looked in stores and online, and I couldn't find them anywhere. I can easily pick up a replacement tip for my new one at the local Radio Shack.

Ryan
      Originally posted by JOLLY
      I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

I found tips at Home Depot and electronic stores

Antique Electronic Supply carries some parts, and Mouser should, too, but it's probably a lot easier to just find 'em locally.
        Last edited by Curly; 07-25-2004, 11:02 AM.
        "music heals"
        facebook

Comment

Jeff,

I got a real cheap iron not so long ago from a UK shop called Maplins (similar to Radio Shack) cost me about £10 (approx $18) and its a 25W iron and was good enough for me to solder my pups in to my strat. Came with a stand that strapped on to the handle so that you could stand it on the floor/bed/table with out burning anything. Because I fluttered my eyes at the girl behind the counter , I also got a small sponge in a box to wipe the tip and some soldering wire thrown in for the price.

NBorman
          Normans Guitars

Comment

I use Weller.
            Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
            My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Any pointers on cleaning to make the tips last longer? I get so annoyed when I have to replace the tips all the time...I use the sponge but only get 2-3 uses out of each tip...what am I doing wrong?

Farkus
              2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
              1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Comment

Thanks guys...I'll be heading out to Home Depot. Looks like Weller's the choice!
                My Sound Clips

Comment

Originally posted by Farkus
                  Any pointers on cleaning to make the tips last longer? I get so annoyed when I have to replace the tips all the time...I use the sponge but only get 2-3 uses out of each tip...what am I doing wrong?

Farkus
                  Farkus,
                  I sponge after each joint, then retin the tip a little. I use my 23 watt more because the tips stay healthier. They have a pencil tip that's pretty cheap to replace, but mine last quite a while.
                  I think you can sandpaper or lightly file the tips to clean them a little, but don't quote me on that. I know that you
                  don't want to use steel wool, for sure.
                  "music heals"
                  facebook

Comment

Yup....I used 0000 steel wool on my last soldering iron to clean the tip....it never worked right again.
                    My Sound Clips

Comment

Sandpaper is useful for prolonging the life of the tip. I usually spray some electronics cleaner on the tip while it's cool, scrub it with some sandpaper, and then wipe it down with a damp sponge.

Ryan
                      Originally posted by JOLLY
                      I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Usually for wiring guitars I use a very light and skinny 60watt Easco soldering iron on a rheostat to roll off the power. I know that is a lot more iron than is typically recommended, but I find the extra wattage to be helpful when soldering grounds or pup covers. If I'm just soldering pup leads, caps, etc.. I just have the power cut back to about half.

A sal ammoniac block will also clean a really dirty tip without ruining any of the plating.

Comment

Originally posted by Curly
                          Farkus,
                          I sponge after each joint, then retin the tip a little. I use my 23 watt more because the tips stay healthier. They have a pencil tip that's pretty cheap to replace, but mine last quite a while.
                          I think you can sandpaper or lightly file the tips to clean them a little, but don't quote me on that. I know that you
                          don't want to use steel wool, for sure.
                          An iron tip can be sanded (although I find it unnecessary), but a copper clad tip must not be sanded, eventually you remove the copper plating and from there on out the tip will corrode. Best advice, don't sand, just wipe and keep the tip tinned. A little oxidation on the tip won't hurt anything. Those 3M brand scothbrite sponges with the green scrubby stuff on one side are nice. Cut one in half, mount side by side, one regular sponge, and one green scrubby side sponge. Works for me.
                          Last edited by Kent S.; 07-25-2004, 05:07 PM.
                          ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
                          ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
                          Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

thanks, Kent, for the correct info
                            "music heals"
                            facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Curly
                              thanks, Kent, for the correct info
                              Your welcome, also you can get a dimmer switch kit (like for an overhead lamp) and wire it into a box with an outlet ((and fuse)), have someone who is familiar with household wiring do it if your not (not you Curly but whoever), use an old but good condition three way electrical cable, and what you have is a fused, soldering iron temperature controller. Your local home improvement type store's electonics department should be able to help you out with the proper material,parts, and instructions since they sell ceiling fans and lamps.
                              ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
                              ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
                              Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Working...
                              X