phase switching positions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phase switching positions

I put phase switching on the bridge pickup of my guitar (schecter omen 6, HH) by using a dpdt on/on mini toggle. Seems to work fine, but I can't remember which position is in phase and which position is out of phase! From my experience, an out of phase pickup sounds trebley and harsh, but quieter than an in phase pickup. However, it seems on my guitar, the more trebley sound is louder than the bassier position on the switch, which goes counter to any logic. This has confused me.

So if my switch is installed with both leads to the switch pointing "up", then will the pickup be out of phase when the switch is pointed up, or down?
    Thanks,
    Dan
    Last edited by danglybanger; 07-25-2004, 07:44 PM.

(I have avatars and sigs turned off. Do you?)

Re: phase switching positions

Originally posted by danglybanger
    So if my switch is installed with both leads to the switch pointing "up", then will the pickup be out of phase when the switch is pointed up, or down?
    Thanks,
    Dan
    It would be hard to say from this description, as there are a couple different ways you can wire a phase switch. Generally, however, the louder setting should be the in-phase position, regardless of which has more bass or treble.

Comment

Re: phase switching positions

The switch is wired according to the schematics on the SD website, here- http://www.seymourduncan.com/website...umbuckers.html There's barely a difference between in/out of phase sounds while using the bridge pickup only. There is a fairly large difference, however, in sound in and out of phase when the bridge and neck pickups are combined, and honestly there really isn't too much of a difference in volume either way. If it matters, my bridge pickup is a Duncan Distortion.
      Dan

Editted to say: I just saw the huge words on the SD page that say phase reversal only works with both pickups... well that solves one of my problems
      Last edited by danglybanger; 07-25-2004, 08:17 PM.

(I have avatars and sigs turned off. Do you?)

Comment

Working...
      X