Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stainless steel frets?

Originally posted by KoreanGuitarMan
    I don't think Stainless Steel frets are a good idea on a Strat. Seems like it would add to the brightness of an already bright guitar. The difference between stainless steels strings and nickel is pretty drastic. I personally hate Stainless Steel strings on Strats, and I like my tone pretty darn bright.

I can imagine they'd be pretty tough on strings too.
    Well you could even the tone out by using a graphite nut (see my graphite nut post)

Comment

the nut only affects the tone on open strings
      My clips

Originally posted by Rid
      How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

Originally posted by KoreanGuitarMan
        Refrets are more expensive, aren't they? I've heard stainless frets pretty much ruin tools.
        I've never heard of anyone with SS frets needing a refret. That was part of the reason why I got 'em on my guitar. If one were necessary, it would probably be more expensive if you got 'em replaced with SS.
        Originally posted by LesStrat
        make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
        My Music

Comment

Originally posted by nuntius
          the nut only affects the tone on open strings

ohhh yeah... LOL

The trend I'm seeing is that SS frets are best used on mellower-sounding guitars, and not brighter-toned guitars like strats and teles. Basically if the guitar is pretty toppy already then you might want to stay away from them, correct?

Comment

Tom Anderson is going to Stainless Steel Frets exclusively I hear. I guess he thinks they do not cause a sound disadvantage.
            Gregg -
            Warmoth Guitar Products

Comment

Like I said, in theory, they should change the sounds, but I really dont think that any human being's ears are that finely tuned to make out the difference.
              This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Parker Fly and NiteFly models have stainless frets. I love them, and would love to put them on all of my guitars. I don't think they affect the tone adversely, and they feel like you're playing on glass. Very slick and fast. Add to that the fact that they'll last pretty much forever (you probably won't *ever* need to re-fret) and i think they're worth the added expense.

Comment

I'm glad there are many more people supporting them now.

I heard from so many people that they made the tone significantly brighter and took away the natural characteristics of the wood. I really hope that isn't the case, because never needing to get a refret is a major plus in my book.

The Parkers I've played with the SS frets were definitely awesome. I still maintain that the Deluxe Fly has the easiest neck to play on period. Wide, thin, easy access all the way up and the graphite and SS frets make playing comfortable and a breeze.
                  Originally posted by kevlar3000
                  I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                  Originally posted by Zerberus
                  Better is often the enemy of good
                  Originally posted by ginormous
                  Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Well Beandip then your ears must be shot? I hear a clear difference between nickel compounds and solid steel ones, I am actually going to get brass frets on my Kramer and Wolfgang when they are worn out, the only place I like steel is on my trems.

Comment

I reckon so man. Years of workin around nail guns, air compressors, and big ol' tractors can do that
                      This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Originally posted by 7th Hell
                        I've read that the only reason Parker installs those is because you CANNOT re-fret their carbon fiber fretboards without destroying them.
                        Actually, if you look at the original fly´s, the fretboards arent slotted. The frets are "tangless"and are glued on top of the board. Try cutting fret slots into carbon fiber and you´ll know why.. The saw blades wll cost more than the guitar. That´s the "real" reason they can´t be refretted, and why Ken uses steel frets

I still haven´t had a chance to try the stuff myself, though. But I HAVE finally found a place to acquire the stuff, so it´s only a matter of time

Which reminds me: Jeremy, weren´t you looking for some as well...?
                        Last edited by Zerberus; 07-29-2004, 11:59 AM.
                        Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Working...
                        X