banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strings - loose or tight on guitar for shipping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strings - loose or tight on guitar for shipping?

I have had lots of different opinons on whether guitars that are being shipped (by air) or even taken on board for short journey flights should have their strings slackened or not.

Some people have told me that you should slacken the strings off one whole tone, some to slacken the strings completely so that they are like rubber bands and others saying they should be kept in tune to retain tension on the neck. FWIW I have had guitars shipped out to me with all of the above and there has never been any problem for me. However it may well be because I live in the UK it has not caused me problems or perhaps some of the guitars are just well made.

So what are your experiences and what is really the best way?
    Normans Guitars

Re: Strings - loose or tight on guitar for shipping?

The last two guitars I had shipped to me were the Jem and my M1; and they both were tuned to pitch when they arrived.

I've never shipped. When travelling for a gig, I never de-tune. Never had a problem yet.

But, I don't know definitively if this is good or I'm just lazy!!
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

ship it tuned because if you slacken the strings you could very likely mess up the action and cause the saldles to come out of place

Comment

I don't see a down side to tuning down a step.

I think the chance of a problem is worse in winter, when there are more drastic differences in temp between cold outdoors, and warm indoors.... that's what causes problems, AFIK, but I happen to live in a pretty moderate climate.
        "music heals"
        facebook

Comment

well i take my guitar on holiday to the lebanon every year, and never detune it.

i dont have any problems with it
          My clips

Originally posted by Rid
          How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

All the guitar shops I've ever gone into have guitars hanging on the wall tuned to pitch. Some for years. If there was a problem doing this for extended period of time you would think the shops would want to protect their stock by making sure all their guitars were detuned while not in use. I don't don't know if you can damage the guitar by leaving it tuned to picth for lenghthy periods.
            GMP Pawnshop Deluxe - Custom Custom Bridge, 59n

Parker Fly, Ruby Red, 1996 H/H/P

Parker Nitefly SSH

THD Univalve with Avatar Cab

Bad Cat Mini Cat

Vox Valvetronix AD-60 1x12

"Thanks for comin out and...
            KEEPIN THE SCENE ALIVE"

Comment

Originally posted by nuntius
              well i take my guitar on holiday to the lebanon every year
              WTF? Is there a waiting list for Club Med?
              ~Sid

"If you play a Nickelback song backwards you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward you'll hear Nickelback." ~David Grohl

Comment

I'm not sure if it matters much about the pitch, but it's a good idea to put paper in between the strings and fretboard, especially if it's not shipped in a case. That'll keep a hard hit from denting the frets. The most important aspect of shipping a guitar is to make sure the headstock can't be broken, if mishandled.
                Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

ummm club med?? lebanon is a country man
                  Proud Master of Strats.....

Comment

I ship with the strings tuned to pitch. You should probably tune down if you expect the box to get dropped a lot, though.

Comment

I don't know if it made any difference, but when shipping 2 basses awhile back, I slacked all the strings. I was convinced if something fell on the neck with tense strings, it'd break.

Comment

Originally posted by strat_master
                        ummm club med?? lebanon is a country man
                        yeah its where my dad comes from.

gorgeous place, hot as hell but its really nice
                        My clips

Originally posted by Rid
                        How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

I always tune down a whole step for shipping, regardless of whether it actually helps or not (i feel it CAN, depending on the situation) I just feel that itīs better to take extra precaution all the time than to be looking at a broken axe even once
                          Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Any body who is planning on traveling with a guitar MUST READ THIS ARTICLE!!!!

Acoustic Guitar serves players, beginning and experienced, with instruction, information, inspiration, advice, and a voice in the acoustic guitar community.
                            "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                            "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Originally posted by Bludave
                              Any body who is planning on traveling with a guitar MUST READ THIS ARTICLE!!!!

http://www.acousticguitar.com/gear/advice/flying.shtml
                              Great stuff and thanks for the article very useful. So the advice is to de-tune at least a pitch or two when shipping guitars.

BTW whenever I have had to fly I have insisted that it is carried onto the plane and off and that usually there is a special section in the airport where you have to take them and collect them. I use hiscox cases when I do this because they are built like tanks and and pad out the guitar inside the case with some of my clothes.
                              Normans Guitars

Comment

Working...
                              X