Tried a tonebone classic...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tried a tonebone classic...

I was in a local dealer trying to scare up a THD flexi to try when I noticed they had a tonebone classic in stock, the first I've seen locally. I immediately grabbed a US tele and plugged the tonebone into a peavey classic 30 (I know, but this store is like the black hole of amps. I don't think I've ever seen a worse selection).

Anyway, I was distinctly unimpressed. I found the low gain setting useable, but the medium and higher gain settings sounded harsh and higher treble settings were nasty. I talked to the shop guy about what I had (G2D and an H&K tubeman) and he agreed with me that the tonebone wasn't as good. Apparently they had just sold a tubeman to a guy who a/b'ed the tubeman and tonebone.

Now, maybe through a nicer amp, the tonebone might sound a bit better. But overall I was very disappointed. I strongly recommend folk who are looking at these to seek out G2D pedals instead.
    Originally posted by Jolly
    ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Re: Tried a tonebone classic...

Yeah, I'm not sure I'd want one of those either. the Hotbritish is better, but it also seems like more of a bedroom distortion box than a boost for a good rig.

There's so many clean boost, OD, Dist. pedals out there right now, it's almost ridiculous. Sometimes, you just have to play the 'pedal shuffle' game, in order to find one that is really 'you.' The G2D is a great pedal....if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I was really expecting better, after all the rave reviews and the 'magical Eric Johnson endorsement (TM)'.

Just goes to show, don't believe the hype.
      Originally posted by Jolly
      ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

I think a truck full of music gear comes to Eric Johnson's house every morning. Every single company that wants to attach their name to him sends him stuff. Then, he sends 5 Emails to the companies, saying "I love it and use it". Then, he goes on tour, and uses the 10 old 'tried and true' pieces he uses, while all that other gear sits in storage. That's my take.
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I had the same reaction ... underwhelmed

tried it, sent it back
          "music heals"
          facebook

Comment

Anyone else see the pic posted of EJ's pedalboard recently? No Tonebone in sight.

Comment

uh ... well, that's not a recent pic
              "music heals"
              facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Curly
                uh ... well, that's not a recent pic
                I meant that you posted it recently...

Comment

The ToneBone Classic was made for amps like Fenders which were made for earlier breakup. If you try them through a high gain amp, of course they won't sound good.

Distortion through distortion isn't going to sound good no matter what you try. I love my Tube Screamer, but is it junk if it doesn't add an extra boost to a high gain channel?

My friend uses his Tone Bone Classic through a 60s Fender Bassman with good results.

If you want a clean boost, you shouldn't be looking there in the first place. Get a Klon Centaur or something. This pedal was designed to add a crunch and british-esque Marshall plexi gain to a clean or very lightly overdriven channel.
                  Originally posted by kevlar3000
                  I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                  Originally posted by Zerberus
                  Better is often the enemy of good
                  Originally posted by ginormous
                  Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Working...
                  X