What is an attentuator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is an attentuator?

Can use a small amp as an attentuator? How would you use it with a Combo such as a peavey classic 50 where you push the tubes to get a nice overdrive.
    Last edited by Dills; 07-28-2004, 08:04 PM.
    PRS McCarty (59n, 59b)
    1990 Fender Strat Japan (SSL-1, SSL-1, APS-1)

Orange Dual Terror Head
    Blackstar HT-5
    2 Fender 12" Cabs with Celestion G12H30, Vintage 30
    Vox Pathfiinder 15R

Re: What is an attentuator?

An attenuator, (relative to guitar amps), is a device that soaks up power without producing any sound. It could be a resistor, an inductor, (coil), or it could simply be a speaker voice-coil with the paper cone removed.

I think thats how the Weber-Mass's work. I've never used one myself, but I imagine they have an input, (from the amp), and an output, (to the speaker).

Someone who's actually used one could elaborate, but I don't see any reason you couldn't use one with any amp. Although, it doesn't really make sense to use one with a SS.

Comment

I'm sure someone will offer a proper technical explanation, but in simple terms (ones that I understand).....

An attenuator is a device you connect between the output stage of your tube amp and your speakers. It allows you to operate the amp at or near full volume without delivering all of that volume to the speakers. The attenuator "soaks up" the amp's output power in a way that doesn't damage the amp. The result is you can crank your amp up and get true power tube distortion without blowing out the windows or deafening yourself.

Some examples of attenuators are the THD Hotplate, the Marshall Powerbrake and the Weber Mass.

You could use one with a combo fairly easily provided the speakers are connected to the amp with a standard jack. You may need to attach a longer lead to the speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon_F
        The attenuator "soaks up" the amp's output power in a way that doesn't damage the amp
        Well, yes and no. This article from GuitarNuts is worth reading on this subject:

GuitarNuts Myths: Amp Attenuators

(Scroll down to #5.)

Basically, it just points out that if using an attenuator, you're more likely to be driving your amp harder, which means that you're "wearing out" the tubes faster.

Comment

True. Obviously if you're working your tubes harder they wear out quicker, but no quicker than if you were cranking the amp without an attenuator.

That's wear and tear on consumables, not damage.

EDIT - Thanks for that link - there's some great stuff there.
          Last edited by Simon_F; 07-28-2004, 06:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
            Well, yes and no. This article from GuitarNuts is worth reading on this subject:

GuitarNuts Myths: Amp Attenuators

(Scroll down to #5.)

Basically, it just points out that if using an attenuator, you're more likely to be driving your amp harder, which means that you're "wearing out" the tubes faster.
            I'd just like to point out that it's the amps output that's wearing out your tubes faster, and not the attenuator.

Since an attenuator will let you run an amp at full output at less than earbleed volumes, some people will actually do so. Then, when their tubes wear out faster than normal, or they suffer tube failure and/or a blown output transformer, they blame the attenuator instead of blaming their own stupidity.
            || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Originally posted by screamingdaisy
              I'd just like to point out that it's the amps output that's wearing out your tubes faster, and not the attenuator.

Since an attenuator will let you run an amp at full output at less than earbleed volumes, some people will actually do so. Then, when their tubes wear out faster than normal, or they suffer tube failure and/or a blown output transformer, they blame the attenuator instead of blaming their own stupidity.
              Exactly. Thats the issue that GuitarNuts addresses.

Myth: Power attenuators will damage your amp.

Fact: Driving your amp harder will shorten tube life.

Comment

Working...
              X