In need of a really nice overdrive...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In need of a really nice overdrive...

So, I have a couple bucks left over after nabbing my Shiva, and I think I'd like to get a really nice OD. I don't want to spend too much, preferrably at or below $200 (I'm sure I can get SOMETHING nice for that price! ) I'd like something versatile enough so that I can get rid of my other OD's without missing them...and just use this single pedal. I guess my main options are the Banzai pedals and the Fulltone Fulldrive...anything else I should consider?

Re: In need of a really nice overdrive...

rat

either a rat 2, or that big one with like 4 diff rats built in. Analog at its best, IMO
    Originally posted by gibson175
    metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

Id suggest a G2D classic or custom pedal. But there are just too many great overdrive pedals out there. Its all about the sound you want, there's something to get it.
      Gypsy, give me your tears. If you will not give them to me, I will take them from you.

Comment

You have a Bogner, that's really going to provide all the distortion you need. You might want a transparent OD/Boost pedal, in which the Klon Centaur provides in spades.

Other suggestions are a Chandler Tube Driver or a Banzai Cold Fusion.

Oops price wise, the Klon and Chandler are out of there, so go with the Banzai
        Last edited by That90'sGuy; 07-29-2004, 01:49 AM.
        Originally posted by kevlar3000
        I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
        Originally posted by Zerberus
        Better is often the enemy of good
        Originally posted by ginormous
        Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

I'm really leaning towards that Cold Fusion...

Comment

Boss Metal Zone MT-2
            Gibson Les Paul R8 in Ebony
            Roland Cube 60
            Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier Head & Mesa Boogie 2x12 Horizontal Rectifier Cabinet
            BadCat Unleash V1 Attenuater/Re-amplifier
            LoopMaster Clean Dirty A/B Looper Switcher
            Mogami Cables
            Mooer Candy Toppers
            Pedals: Mad Professor Silver Spring Reverb, Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, Neunaber Stereo WET Reverb, Keeley 30ms DoubleTracker, & TC Electronic Polytune.
            Extras: AmpWedge & Auralex Great Gramma ISO Platform

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarGuy503
              Boss Metal Zone MT-2

eeeeewwwwwww. -1

MAYBE if you get it with mods from indyguitarist.com
              Originally posted by gibson175
              metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

Guys, I want an "Overdrive," not a distortion pedal! Focus!

Comment

Hmm not going to spam here, but if you have the patience, the Plexi's are almost ready to ship now.

Comment

I'm not a fan of the rat. It's too grainy sounding. I'd much prefer a big muff, which has a much thicker and smoother sound. Can also be really thin and trebly if you use the tone knob, but if you have ceramic magnets in your pickups that can expose how brittle the high end is.

All distortion pedals can be used as overdrive pedals. Just turn down the gain / pre and turn up the volume / post. My marshall jackhammer I would recomend for any thin sounding rig since it has a huge bass end. The mxr distortion + I use is very short on bass naturally, but has a great sound for classic rock and for oldschool punk/hardcore - it's a bit noisy and dirty with high gain, but if everything else is in shape then you should be fine. My american reissue big muff is what I've been using these days. It's very very thick and has tonnes of mids and bass, unless you move the tone knob to get just the right amount of high end for clarity. It's built as a solo pedal, I use it for rythm though.

The metalzone I would avoid. It sounds good if you know how to use it, it is NOT A BAD PEDAL. The only reason I would avoid it is because with it, you sound like everybody else.

Comment

Originally posted by the_Chris
                      You have a Bogner, that's really going to provide all the distortion you need. You might want a transparent OD/Boost pedal
                      i agree
                      My clips

Originally posted by Rid
                      How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

tube screamer?

Comment

I haven't tried the Banzai and G2D pedals, but I trust others opinions on those. I like my Maxon 820, though, which sounds like something you'd like. I think a lot of folks overlook these because of the name, but they're hand built, and really a custom level pedal. They also FEEL like a part of the amp.

see my sig, and click through for the review I did, and some more info
                          "music heals"
                          facebook

Comment

Mrid....you've got one....it's called BOGNER.

If that amp doesn't have enough gain, you need annother amp (or to have your head examined ) I would think that a clean boost for lead work would be the best. Of course you can have the best of both worlds and buy the Fulltone Fulldrive II, which has a lead boost built in.

My Sound Clips

Comment

Like many have said - you got all the dirt you need! Now I'm just assuming you're like me and you just want to smoothen out the rough edges of the distortion, a little more butter like. In which that case, I don't think you need to be dropping serious bucks for. Grab a nice reliable overdrive that will do you well. Why not just a TS-9 modded by John? It'll end up being a lot cheaper than those Banzai models you speak of. Good luck in your search!

Comment

Working...
                              X