Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Eb tuning = bad idea?

Originally posted by Benjy_26
    If you hear your guitar out of tune and not intonated even when it is by standard methods, you might want to look into the Feiten system.

It´s not something that every needs or even wants. But if you´re finicky about intonation and "in-tuneness" when playing, It may be for you. JohnJohn is an authorized retrofitter IIRC, I´ll probably be taking the course soon as well
    Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

papersoul, give your buddy one of these for me: :fing25:

HA HA, nah, he's just trying to help. But really, any intonation issue you may have with an altered tuning, would take, like 5 minutes to correct.

Comment

Papersoul, Zerb is right, although the preset intonation on the McCarty bridge was designed for 9's or 10's in standard tuning. Tuning halfstep down, and re-intonating will sound fine, but not 100% perfect. It gets worse as you go down halfstep AND drop your low string. At that point, the preset saddles aren't where they would be, if individually adjusted. That was the whole reason I installed the Tonepros adjustable bridge on the McCarty I use for alternate tunings. Right now, I've got 11's tuned down halfstep with a dropped low note. It's intonated perfectly for that and sounds great, but wouldn't if I'd kept the stock bridge on it.

If I were you, I'd try to keep your McCarty tuned closer to standard, and use your Gibson for the alternate tunings. Either that, or get a PRS or Tonepros bridge. Keep in mind, they come unslotted, so you've got to have a luthier cut the saddles + the high price of the bridge....$132
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Your friend is a silly person. Just intonate your bridge and you'll be fine, no matter what the tunning is. If it's an extremely radical tuning, you might have to make a truss rod adjustment. You might have to get a new nut if you're using bass strings, but only because they need to be a bit higher. For Eb though? No worries. Don't even bother paying a tech, just grab a tuner and a screwdriver and go for it.

Comment

I didn't read any responses but that is an absolute load of crap.
            My Bands -
            https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
            www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
            www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
            GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by theboatcandream
              Your friend is a silly person. Just intonate your bridge and you'll be fine, no matter what the tunning is. If it's an extremely radical tuning, you might have to make a truss rod adjustment. You might have to get a new nut if you're using bass strings, but only because they need to be a bit higher. For Eb though? No worries. Don't even bother paying a tech, just grab a tuner and a screwdriver and go for it.
              Actually, I find you ca lower the action with heavier strings because the tension is higher and remember the string, even though heavier is no closer to the fretboard.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
                Papersoul, Zerb is right, although the preset intonation on the McCarty bridge was designed for 9's or 10's in standard tuning. Tuning halfstep down, and re-intonating will sound fine, but not 100% perfect. It gets worse as you go down halfstep AND drop your low string. At that point, the preset saddles aren't where they would be, if individually adjusted. That was the whole reason I installed the Tonepros adjustable bridge on the McCarty I use for alternate tunings. Right now, I've got 11's tuned down halfstep with a dropped low note. It's intonated perfectly for that and sounds great, but wouldn't if I'd kept the stock bridge on it.

If I were you, I'd try to keep your McCarty tuned closer to standard, and use your Gibson for the alternate tunings. Either that, or get a PRS or Tonepros bridge. Keep in mind, they come unslotted, so you've got to have a luthier cut the saddles + the high price of the bridge....$132
                Gear, the thing is...the McCarty is a little more articulate and clear so I think that might be better for the low tunings. To be honest....I am fine with all my guitars in Eb....but since I am up in the air about band projects, I am going to keep my PRS in standard till I figure what I am doing.

You said the bridge is $132 and has to be slotted? Is that the PRS bridge? I am not a big fan of the Tone Pros bridges, but I want that PRS intonable bridge. does that need slotting??

with regards to the strings, I have 10-46...could I go 10-50 in standard and be okay? I like slightly heavier strings. Would I have to adjust the neck?

Comment

Bugger what rubbish!!!
                  I detune my guitars from time to time, they both use 9's and they never go out of tune or get instable......

Comment

Working...
                  X