banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overall Good Gigging Amp for a Working Musician: Peavey???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Overall Good Gigging Amp for a Working Musician: Peavey???

Originally posted by Benjy_26
    I tried the Delta Blues and it's a pretty nice amp. If you want more gain on tap, look into a clean Prowler. It's voiced to give kind of an old Boogie flavor, and at 40watts with 1x12 it's fairly compact. A buddy of mine has it with a set of GT 6L6 #7's and a Celestion Vin. 30 and it smokes.
    That's exactly what I was thinking as well, celestion vintage 30. Will be getting some JJ's anyway, am keeping matched sets in my drawer.

I guess I will not be using the overdriven channel that mcuh anyway. I prefer to cook the powertubes and get the drive from the clean channel. Hence the 30Watter search! Anyway if it were to come to overdrive pedals love the pedals I have and would use them just in case, Barber DD, fulltone II and a mesa boogie v-twin for wild things you know.

Cool to know that, cool indeed!

B
    Last edited by dr.barlo; 08-04-2004, 02:14 PM.
    FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Originally posted by sweet_lou
      Doc I am new at this with 54yr old hearing I would not be able to describe the sound like one of you veterans. It is the 12"- 150 F Weber "lightly doped" when I spoke to Weber I told him I wanted to get a real clean sound that I could drive with a pedal. Weber's site has a decription with Headroom and such.
      It has a smoother richer sound then the fender. I am sorry thats the best I can do

Come on over and try it out
      Thanks for the invitation. Only if I could drive from Minneapolis to SC! I am sure your ears are alright, and stop being modest. That sure is a cool speaker!

B

Comment

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe might work for you. 40 watts 1X12, 3 channels, Fender reverb, loud as hell, great tone with the right tubes & Jensen C12N speaker and weighs 45lbs. I gig with mine and have gotten nothing but compliments about my tone. I only run a Fender PT-10 tuner and a Dunlop Cry Baby wah to the amp. Although, sometimes my drummer asks me to turn it down because he can't hear himself play.
        ~Sid

"If you play a Nickelback song backwards you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward you'll hear Nickelback." ~David Grohl

Comment

Originally posted by Thames
          Barlo dude, I think you cant go wrong with a Classic 30 or Delta Blues, many great mods to perform, improving the tone vaslty.

BTW, those Blue Marvel speakers arent peaveys version of an Alnico Blue. Their tonal characteristics have nothin to do with the Alnico Blue. It's only a common, no character, american mass production speaker.
          But that's exactly the crap I hate. I mean we are all alike and I know you would agree. Why put a bad speaker when the price difference would be at most $50-100. Considering big purchases that peavey can make, it sure can make celestion go down in the price.

Anyway, thanks man. Feel better now. At first I felt like I am cheapining out you know. But cannot carry the bassman everywhere (and actually I don't wanna carry it, it belongs together with my historic pauls in the safest spot in my home).

So am thinking that I am gonna go for a peavey classic or delta whatever, and am gonna get myself a celestion v30 in case I don't like them speakers.

Any other mods you guys wanna share here. It would be easier for me to get hold of this thread after a while, otherwise with lots of threads I forget what's where.

B
          Last edited by dr.barlo; 08-04-2004, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dr.barlo

Any other mods you guys wanna share here. It would be easier for me to get hold of this thread after a while, otherwise with lots of threads I forget what's where.

B
            Go to Hamer Fan Club Forum one of the guys there is supposed to be realy good at Peavey Classic 30 mods All the guys there use him.

His Grace is Amazing

Comment

check out www.blueguitar.org, there's a whole set of mods for the Classic 30 and Classic 50. It's pretty easy to do yourself if you're handy with a soldering iron.

Ryan
              Originally posted by JOLLY
              I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

I have a Classic 30. It seems to be an amp that you have to "season to taste" but once you've got the right ingredients it kicks, IMHO. I built a 2x12 cabinet for it and I'm still experimenting with speakers. So far (thanks to Stevo) my favorite speaker is the ceramic Weber Blue Dog. I tried a Celestion Greenback but the high end seemed to be a bit spikey on the OD channel, where the Weber calmed that down in a good way. I may end up with another Weber but I'm contimplating whether a Celestion G12H30 would work with the Weber. For the clean channel I'm using an Aphex compressor and it add's a beautiful clarity when using humbuckers. I get a great clean tone with it. As far as power tubes I'm using JJ EL84's with a # 35 heat rating and it for me they seem just right. Pre amp tubes are JJ ECC83S. I love the natural distortion I get from the OD channel but for heavier things I've got a Tonebone Hot British thru the clean channel and it just screams and chunck's at the same time. Boss delay pedal in the effects loop and that's it! Each to his own, but I'm very happy with it all.

Comment

Guys, you are the best! Appreciate the info.

B

Comment

Barlo,
                    If you want to try some Webers, email/PM me. I'll give you a discount.
                    Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Comment

How about a Marshall JTM 30, or even the JTM 60 in a 1x12? Also look at Marshall JCM 600's. Great cleans verging on Fender's, and fantastic OD channels that go from mild blusey crunch to Marshall mayhem. They can be had at reasonable prices, and really require no mods to get a bunch of great tones.

No JCM 600's or JTM 30's on ebay right now, but here a link for the JTM 60.

Last edited by Jeff_H; 08-05-2004, 08:00 AM.
                      My Sound Clips

Comment

Is 650 a good price for a used (but good condition) JTM 60? What about 700 for an old stock but not used JCM600?

B

Comment

Originally posted by Thames
                          Barlo,
                          If you want to try some Webers, email/PM me. I'll give you a discount.
                          YAY! Cool!

B

Comment

Quick note B, regarding the peavey query, the Classic 30 has my vote, yeah the speaker issues, well even so. That's tube, if you wanted something a little less fragile (all tube amps are considered fragile in regard to this), and you just wanted a power house to gig with, then you might want to look at the soild state Bandit 112, it 80 watts one 12, much more flexible eq and gain wise, and it's loop switches in or out from the pedal, has an extension cab out (drops load to 4 ohms/100watts). They are the center workhorse of the Peavey line, very dependable, and versatile, and get a descent tube like overdrive. Much more versatile then the Classic 30 .... Don't blow 'em off just because they are S.S. It's a gigging amp, remember.
                            ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
                            ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
                            Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

I see a lot of guys useing Blues Jr. lately??? But I think I know where
                              your coming from? My days of lugging 1/2 stacks and Fender Twins to
                              gigs are over. I gig with a BF Princeton of a Champ 12. I'm
                              suprised nobody mentioned this but I always carry a SM 57 with me
                              should volume become a Issue. ( It rarely does ?) The amp goes into the
                              P.A. ( Just my 2 cents )
                              http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

Now my list looks somthing like:

1. Marshall JTM60 or JCM600
                                2. Peavey classic 30 or delta
                                3. A non-back breaking fender deluxe.

Kent, I don't have much allergic reaction to SS's, yet I'd be using the powertubes for overdrive most of the time. Not the lead channel. I love that and thus SS's kinda don't do it for me just because of that. I know myself, I will end up where I started.

kmcguitars, man you are right. Only if the places we have been playing where to have a good pa system. Those can carry only the vocals, and not much else.

B

Comment

Working...
                                X