Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Little Self Analysis...

Hey all...

o.k...I've been wracking my small brain lately trying to come up with some new gear...i.e. amp / guitar combinations...amp / pedal combinations...guitar / pick-up / amp combinations...yada yada yada...in addition to this I am trying to figure out the best home studio recording platform...computer based pro tools? stand alone all-in-one unit? old analog reel to reel / mixer combo? anyway you see where I'm going...

I find that I'm starting to burn out on all this and am starting to think that maybe it really doesnt matter all that much...yes I understand that good tone is important and that everything plays a part in the grand scheme.

Having said that...i am starting to think that with all the gear options and recording options out there along with the fact that "if it sounds good it is good"...why do we (I) spend so much mental energy and money on this stuff?
    outside of musical circles...especially guitar circles...the general public couldnt tell the difference between a $3000 guitar and a $300 guitar...hell with processing power you can get close enough for the general public...and as long as it sounds good within the context of the song who cares??

You give a song a good beat, a catchy phrase or two, use a little creativity and I bet you could pass gas, run it through a processor and if it sounds cool in the song...PERFECT!

Anyway I feel a little better, I think I'll go lay down....anyone want to tell me I'm crazy or give their 2 cents I'm all ears.

And thanks for listening
    '86 Jackson USA SL-1
    Ibanez RG hardtail
    Vox AD60VTX

Re: A Little Self Analysis...

I think you need to give it a rest. Sometimes it's good to make do with what you've got for a bit. Eventually you have to stop fretting about gear and just play.

I'm of two minds about that whole 'the public can't tell the difference' thing. On one hand, it's correct. Some people don't even know they are listening to guitar, let alone whether it was a miked fender deluxe or a podxt.

On the other hand, people are incredibly complex sensors. They may not respond to the difference between 'mids on 5' and 'mids on 6', but if you crank out a nasty solid state fuzz tone for long and loud enough, you'll see the floor clear.

This is where thinking like a musician interacts with the whole tone thing for me. The better my tone sounds and sits inside the music my band plays, the more people will react to it on a subconscious level.

To me tone is an internal and an external thing. I'm doing it to please my ear, but also in the knowledge that it exists in a context.

So yeah, I believe fussing over your sound is more than just disappearing up your own arse. As soon as you take your music outside your bedroom, it's no longer solely about you.
    Originally posted by Jolly
    ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot _Grits
      I think you need to give it a rest. Sometimes it's good to make do with what you've got for a bit. Eventually you have to stop fretting about gear and just play.

I'm of two minds about that whole 'the public can't tell the difference' thing. On one hand, it's correct. Some people don't even know they are listening to guitar, let alone whether it was a miked fender deluxe or a podxt.

On the other hand, people are incredibly complex sensors. They may not respond to the difference between 'mids on 5' and 'mids on 6', but if you crank out a nasty solid state fuzz tone for long and loud enough, you'll see the floor clear.

This is where thinking like a musician interacts with the whole tone thing for me. The better my tone sounds and sits inside the music my band plays, the more people will react to it on a subconscious level.

To me tone is an internal and an external thing. I'm doing it to please my ear, but also in the knowledge that it exists in a context.

So yeah, I believe fussing over your sound is more than just disappearing up your own arse. As soon as you take your music outside your bedroom, it's no longer solely about you.
      I agree
      Marshall JVM 410C
      Mesa Boogie DC-3
      ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
      1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
      2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
      2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
      1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
      2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
      1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

Another point: If you feel you sound good, you WILL play better, because you feel more into it.

Comment

Thanks guys...of course you're right. Just don't be suprised when you see me posting for gear info...after all its a sickness.
          '86 Jackson USA SL-1
          Ibanez RG hardtail
          Vox AD60VTX

Comment

Originally posted by Hot _Grits
            People may not know good tone, but they sure know bad tone.

I believe in 80% solutions. As long as you can find something that'll get you 80% of the way there, all's good and don't sweat the small stuff.
            || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

I agree...but I can say i've heard some guitar parts that in the context of the song, sounded great, but if you pulled the guitar track out by itself it would sound terrible.
              '86 Jackson USA SL-1
              Ibanez RG hardtail
              Vox AD60VTX

Comment

Working...
              X