gt mullard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gt mullard

anybody tried this tube? the gt12ax7m is supposed to be the only current production tube that actually meets or exceeds spec for a 12ax7 and an accurate copy of a mullard.

i have an old mullard in my marshall and im temped to go buy a few and see how close they are.

anybody tried it yet?

Re: gt mullard

I wouldn't really call them a tonal clone. Not quite as tight and a little less gain. That said I really like them, they have a nice open gainey quality that sounds great in my Plexi RI. I had some old rebranded Amperex 12ax7s that I a/b for the Plexi I actually went with the GT. My Traynor liked the Amperex Bugleboy a bit better. Tighter, more gain and more bottom. I like the GT better than most of the new stuff, but JJs seem to sound better in my Carlsbro. The GTm is a nice tube.
    ]
    FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

I know Scott_F loves 'em!

I tried one in my B Jr, but went back to the GE NOS ... just sounded smoother to me ... I need to try the M in a couple other amps

I know Myles over on the guitar amp blueprinting site has said the rejection rate is something like 40%!! I guess they don't take it unless it meets spec

anyway, I've heard nothing but good things
      Last edited by Curly; 08-06-2004, 02:14 PM.
      "music heals"
      facebook

Comment

I've only used the Electro Harmonix Mullard clone ... sorry!
        Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
        My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I put a pair in my Orange AD15, and they sounded much smoother and more polished than the stock tubes (Golden Dragons). The have a smoother high end without harshness and a bit less gain than stock. I like 'em.

Comment

I've done some comparisons between the GT Mullard, GT12AX7C (Chinese), JJ's, Telefunken, Sovtek LPS, and real Mullards. Like Kevlar said, there's no "best"...you just have to try them in your amp to see which sound the best.

Never underestimate the Groove Tube 12AX7C. Like Curly said, Groove Tube has strict testing methods for their tubes. They have a high rejection rate for THAT reason, not because half the tubes are bad. The GT mullard is a great tube that I would use for any Marshall that needs a slight boost in gain. Same with the Chinese GT's. If you're considering paying $23 a piece for the GTM, I'd strongly advise that you spend $14 a piece on the GTC's. Those actually sounded better in my Bogner than the mullard copies, which were too fat and gainy. The Chinese ones are gainy, but tighter and more articulate. Not too different than a Telefunken.
            My other favorite tube is the Sovtek 12AX7 LPS. Not the A,WB, WA, WXT...the LPS!

For clean amps, aside from GE N.O.S., I still like the JJ's the best. They aren't shrill, too gainy, and sound great, especially for how cheap they are now.

If I'm not mistaken, revolutionguitar.com has the GT Mullards for the lowest price on the market.
            Last edited by Gearjoneser; 08-06-2004, 02:19 PM.
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Joneser, you're talking about chinese 9th generation right ?
              Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Comment

I put 'em in my Rivera Rake. It was a little grainy with JJs but it's very yummy with the GT-M in V1. I didn't notice all that great a difference in the other positions.
                Originally posted by LesStrat
                make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
                My Music

Comment

Working...
                X