New THD Univalve & Avatar Cab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New THD Univalve & Avatar Cab

I just got the THD Univalve Amp and the Avatar G212H Cabinet is on the way.

I'm playing it through a B-52 cab that I "borrowed" from Guitar Center. It's OK, but will go back as soon as the Avatar cab arrives. I got it in black with the nice wheat grill.

I'm not looking forward to getting that B-52 thing back in the car. It's a heavy 4x12.

I'd have to say that the THD Univalve sounds more musical than my Vox Valvetronix 1x12. But I'll probably keep that, too. I should sell it, but I have a hard time letting gear go.

I'm very pleased that the THD Univalve has a line out for direct recording and it can be used to drive another amp. It also has a built in Hot Plate (attenuator) and a dummy load.

I'm probably not going to swap tubes for awhile. I'm enjoying just playing rather that constantly tweaking like on the Valvetronix. I've had that for over six months and I'm not sure I'll ever get it dialed in. I just can't stop messing with the settings on the Valvetronix.

The THD replaced a Gerhart Gilmore 1/2 watt tube amp I bought recently and returned. It only sounded good cranked. And even though it says 1/2 watt, it's more like 5 to 6 watts of tube power, which is about as loud as a trumpet at full tilt. Not good for home recording/practice. I couldn't see keeping it as I feel it's a one trick pony and it didn't clean up well when I rolled back the volume on my guitar, either. It looked great though. http://www.gerhartamps.com/products.htm

I was looking for a good practice/recording amp that is very versatile and I think THD really fits the bill. They put everything you need and nothing you don't. Well Reverb would be nice. But I'll live with out it.
    GMP Pawnshop Deluxe - Custom Custom Bridge, 59n

Parker Fly, Ruby Red, 1996 H/H/P

Parker Nitefly SSH

THD Univalve with Avatar Cab

Bad Cat Mini Cat

Vox Valvetronix AD-60 1x12

"Thanks for comin out and...
    KEEPIN THE SCENE ALIVE"

Re: New THD Univalve & Avatar Cab

WOW!
    That will be one sick rig!
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

THD makes some great stuff. I had a Plexi for a while. I also just ordered an Avatar 4x12. I went with two V30's and two G12H30's in an X pattern. Which speakers did you get, the V30/G12H30 conbo?

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey
        WOW!
        That will be one sick rig!
        Thanks. It'll be fun.

Parker Nitefly SSH

Bad Cat Mini Cat

KEEPIN THE SCENE ALIVE"

Comment

Originally posted by TattooedCarrot
          THD makes some great stuff. I had a Plexi for a while. I also just ordered an Avatar 4x12. I went with two V30's and two G12H30's in an X pattern. Which speakers did you get, the V30/G12H30 conbo?
          Yeah, I got the 2x12 cab with one G12H30 and one V30. Seems the best way to go. That 4x12 should be sick. I was thinking about it. What are you going to run through it?

Parker Nitefly SSH

Bad Cat Mini Cat

KEEPIN THE SCENE ALIVE"

Comment

got any clips of that univalve? i'd really like to hear one.

speaking of univalves, i was at guitar center the other day, and saw one used, it wasn't hooked up to a cab so i didnt try it, and didnt have enough time to ask one of the salesmen to set it up, but after i saw the price, i left in disbelief. $1200! they go new for roughly $700 dont they? and this one was used!
            Fender John Mayer Strat
            Gibson SG Special w/ JB bridge
            PRS Soapbar II SE
            Bad Cat Cub IIR 1x12
            Budda Twinmaster and matching 2x12 cab

Taylor 614CE

Comment

I had a Uni for a while....super nice amp! My 1st tube amp & I would say the perfect amp to learn about tubes. I traded it for my Hiwatt..........

I would definitely get another one...I loved it. And I ran the G12H/V-30 (Mojo's version) combo. Again, very nice!

Enjoy your new stuff.......and be prepared to become addicted to tube swapping....you'll spend as much on tubes as you did for the amp!!!!

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
              Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
              FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
              http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

Originally posted by MrHat
                speaking of univalves, i was at guitar center the other day, and saw one used, it wasn't hooked up to a cab so i didnt try it, and didnt have enough time to ask one of the salesmen to set it up, but after i saw the price, i left in disbelief. $1200! they go new for roughly $700 dont they? and this one was used!

You sure that was a Uni & not a BiValve??? That's way high for a Uni....but it was Guitar Center, so ya' never know!!!

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
                Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
                FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
                http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

i'm sure it was a uni, i double checked, cuz i was thinking it had to be a bivalve at that price, but nope, it was a univalve. what's guitar center thinking?
                  Fender John Mayer Strat
                  Gibson SG Special w/ JB bridge
                  PRS Soapbar II SE
                  Bad Cat Cub IIR 1x12
                  Budda Twinmaster and matching 2x12 cab

Taylor 614CE

Comment

Originally posted by MrHat
                    got any clips of that univalve? i'd really like to hear one.

You can hear some nice clips on the THD site at: http://www.thdamps.com/soundclips.htm

Then go to the vox valvetronix site and listen to their demo and you will see how much further modelling has to go:

Creating legendary amps, iconic guitars, and classic instruments for more than 60 years, Vox Amplifiers are unmistakeably British. Supporting iconic musicians from Queen to the Foo Fighters, Elvis Costello to The Eagles, U2 to Paul McCartney. 60 years of iconic tone.

The best price I've found for a new Univalve is $850.

Parker Nitefly SSH

Bad Cat Mini Cat

KEEPIN THE SCENE ALIVE"

Comment

Originally posted by PUCKBOY99
                      Enjoy your new stuff.......and be prepared to become addicted to tube swapping....you'll spend as much on tubes as you did for the amp!!!!
                      I hope not. I want to focus more on playing than tweaking. I've heard you can get a good plexi tone out of univalves. Do you know which tubes I should get for that?

Parker Nitefly SSH

Bad Cat Mini Cat

KEEPIN THE SCENE ALIVE"

Comment

Working...
                      X